Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2008/05/01 03:52:54 UTC

RE: compile 2.3.1

Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman ha scritto:
> > Probably, with the newest versions of Java.  Mordred is deprecated, and
> > since I don't see any reason to update mordred, it will be removed as
soon
> > as I can start work on the new stable branch.
> I created JIRA-605 (http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-605) to
> remove mordred and you replied that you was ok with deprecating it but
> not removing. It is 1.5 years ago

As I recall, Serge and I were the ones who did the work to get DBCP into
JAMES in the first place, and after some years of running DBCP, processing
over 1 million connections per day, I am satisfied that we don't need
mordred as a backup plan anymore, so it is not worth maintaining.

Remember: if we cannot provide a stable, reliable, production quality mail
server, every feature, bell and whistle is worthless.

	--- Noel

RE: compile 2.3.1

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> if anyone needs to use mordred with newer versions of java then they
> can submit a patch

As I mentioned earlier, and we can deal with it then.

	--- Noel

Re: compile 2.3.1

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Serge Knystautas wrote:
>  > This is a good example of Robert's points on modularity.  If mordred
>  > was a separate project built separately, we could keep it as a binary
>  > dependency, no?
>
>  Except that the issue is that mordred needs updating because it no longer
>  works with newer versions of Java.

if anyone needs to use mordred with newer versions of java then they
can submit a patch

- robert

RE: compile 2.3.1

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.