Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/09 11:05:20 UTC

Blockers for 0.8.0-incubating

Hi,

We have only two blocker issues keeping us from releasing 0.8.0-incubating:

LEGAL-36: CMaps for PDF CJK Fonts

We can include the CMap files in binary release artifacts, but they
should not be included in our svn or source releases. I was planning
of modifying the Ant build so that it picks up the CMaps from a
specified location (either by downloading from a URL or expecting the
user to have placed the files in a specific subfolder) and bundles
them in the resulting binary jar.

PDFBOX-391: Remove or replace troublesome test files

We should not distribute test files of unknown licensing status, but
it would still be nice to have some way to keep using our existing
tests at least internally. My plan is to package all the troublesome
test files in a zip file that we just keep around somewhere (outside
our svn) for use by interested developers and the Hudson CI build. We
can modify the Ant build to automatically pick up and run tests from
such a zip file.

PS. Note that before 0.8.0-incubating we also need to release FontBox
and JempBox, as current PDFBox trunk depends on snapshot versions of
those libraries.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Blockers for 0.8.0-incubating

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Brian Carrier
<ca...@digital-evidence.org> wrote:
> We previously discussed an approach of having a 'input-ext' directory where
> external tests could be stored and the test suite would test for the
> existence of this folder and process it if it exists.  I have code that does
> this, but wanted to verify that was still the plan before I commit it.

Sounds good to me.

> Note that the 'input' folder seems to apply only to the text extraction tests.
> I'm not sure if we would need to do similar things with the 'pdfparser' and
> 'pdfreader' folders.

Let's start with the text extraction tests and look at extending the
solution once all the details are sorted out.

Posted by Brian Carrier <ca...@digital-evidence.org>.
On Feb 9, 2009, at 5:05 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have only two blocker issues keeping us from releasing 0.8.0-
> incubating:

> PDFBOX-391: Remove or replace troublesome test files
>
> We should not distribute test files of unknown licensing status, but
> it would still be nice to have some way to keep using our existing
> tests at least internally. My plan is to package all the troublesome
> test files in a zip file that we just keep around somewhere (outside
> our svn) for use by interested developers and the Hudson CI build. We
> can modify the Ant build to automatically pick up and run tests from
> such a zip file.

We previously discussed an approach of having a 'input-ext' directory
where external tests could be stored and the test suite would test
for the existence of this folder and process it if it exists.  I have
code that does this, but wanted to verify that was still the plan
before I commit it. Note that the 'input' folder seems to apply only
to the text extraction tests. I'm not sure if we would need to do
similar things with the 'pdfparser' and 'pdfreader' folders.

brian