Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Gopal Vijayaraghavan <go...@apache.org> on 2016/09/06 20:44:17 UTC

[DISCUSS] Writing Fast Vectorized UDFs

Hi,

I'm writing this because I realize this stuff needs users to comment on before it gets set into an ABI release.

Hive 2.2.0 will check if a user's UDF has a vectorized version before wrapping it row-by-row.

@VectorizedExpressions(value = { VectorStringRot13.class })

https://github.com/apache/hive/tree/master/itests/custom-udfs/udf-vectorized-badexample

I have checked in a fairly bad example of this, with the vectorized & non-vectorized UDF returning different values for testing purposes.

User & dev feedback would be welcome on extending base classes like the IStringUnaryUDF.

Cheers,
Gopal