Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2020/10/07 14:23:04 UTC

[LAZY CONSENSUS] Branching Change in the Release Process

Dear all,

While the current release process we have seems to work, the review
shows that the freeze on master branch takes longer than being
convenient. So I'd propose a new freeze-less branching strategy for the
release of 12.2.

On 15th of October, master will be branched, and two new branch would be
created 'release122' and 'delivery'. From that point the following rules
are applied to the PR-s:

PR-s wished to be included into the 12.2 release:
   - Based on the delivery branch
   - Shall be marked for Milestone 12.2
   - Add the RM of 12.2 to the reviewers (That would be me: @lkishalmi)

PR-s with features other fixes:
   - Based on the master branch
   - Shall be reviewed and merged the usual way
   - If possible stay aside from big cluster refactoring.

*The delivery branch will be merged into the master branch weekly by the
RM.* Also it would be merged into the release122 branch for creating
beta-s, rc and occasionally the release. After the release the delivery
branch would be deleted. If there would be PR-s left for that branch,
those would be rebased to master.

This is a lazy consensus vote thread. If no one raise concerns against
it in 72 hours from now, this change will take effect, and I'll update
the release management pages on the wiki with this change.

P.S.:

Right now it seems that creating the odd-named 'delivery' branch could
be spared. We are going to test that during this release cycle. If we
found no unresolveable issues around that, then the 12.3 cycle we would
use the release123 branch directly for release specific PR-s.

RE: [LAZY CONSENSUS] Branching Change in the Release Process

Posted by Eric Barboni <sk...@apache.org>.
Hi,
 +1 Let's try it.

 I just hope that it will not burden too much the work for the RM at the end.

Best Regards
Eric

> While the current release process we have seems to work, the review
> shows that the freeze on master branch takes longer than being
> convenient. So I'd propose a new freeze-less branching strategy for
> the release of 12.2.

Not strictly required, but +1 and thanks for working this through.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: [LAZY CONSENSUS] Branching Change in the Release Process

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Svata Dedic <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

+1 from me. I was waiting for such a change towards more collaborative
environment since the former release process was defined.

-S.