Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Richard Doust <rd...@mac.com> on 2007/10/29 17:31:25 UTC

mod_jk for OS X PPC

Hi.
I'm a developer of a JBoss/Tomcat app. I work on a Mac. I upgraded my
Mac's OS on Saturday to OS X 10.5 (Leopard). Prior to the upgrade I
was using the version of Apache that came with 10.4, which I think was
1.3. Apple is shipping 2.2.6 with 10.5. They don't include the mod_jk
module built for the OS with the non-server version of the OS. (I
guess they might with the server version, I'm not sure.) Anyway, I
need mod_jk in order for Apache to talk to Tomcat, so I went to the
Tomcat Connectors pages and found that mod_jk is only available in an
x86 version as a binary. So I downloaded the source, installed the
XCode tools so that I could try to compile it. I'm unable to find
apxs2 on my hard drive, but I have a apxs file in my /usr/sbin
directory, so I thought I would try to build using:
./configure --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs
When I install the resultant mod_jk.so, Apache complains that it found
mod_jk mach-o, but it is for the wrong architecture.
If anyone has already done this, I'd love to hear from you.
Thank you,
Richard

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by Richard Doust <rd...@mac.com>.
uname -a :

Darwin QuadG5.local 9.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.0.0: Tue Oct  9
21:37:58 PDT 2007; root:xnu-1228~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh

file /usr/libexec/apache2/mod_jk.so :

/usr/libexec/apache2/mod_jk.so: Mach-O bundle ppc

cc -v:

Using built-in specs.
Target: powerpc-apple-darwin9
Configured with: /var/tmp/gcc/gcc-5465~16/src/configure --disable-
checking -enable-werror --prefix=/usr --mandir=/share/man --enable-
languages=c,objc,c++,obj-c++ --program-transform-name=/^[cg][^.-]*$/s/
$/-4.0/ --with-gxx-include-dir=/include/c++/4.0.0 --with-slibdir=/usr/
lib --build=i686-apple-darwin9 --program-prefix= --host=powerpc-apple-
darwin9 --target=powerpc-apple-darwin9
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)

Confusing, right? Looks good I'd say (with my total lack of knowledge).

Thanks again,
Richard

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by BuildSmart <bu...@daleenterprise.com>.
On Oct 30, 2007, at 24:51:24, Peter Rossbach wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have build my own mod_jk 1.2.25 module at Leopard:

I just confirmed that two "apxs" exists, one for apache 1.3 and one
for apache 2.2 so installing a third is a waste of time, energy and
disk space, one obvious reasons will be aparent if you examine the
module and see what shared objects are linked to it. (man otool)

Of course you can use install_name_tool to fix it but you have to
know what you're doing.

Rebuild the locate database and you'll be able to find both.

> Install current Mac Ports

I guess any working solution is better than none.

> sudo port install autoconf
> sudo port install apr
> sudo port install apr-util
>
> # use gnu libtool
>
> ln -s /opt/local/bin/glibtool /opt/local/bin/libtool
> ln -s /opt/local/bin/glibtoolize /opt/local/bin/libtoolize

Thats wrong.

try: (in /etc/profile)
LIBTOOLIZE=glibtoolize
export LIBTOOLIZE

Now end and start a new terminal session and it will work as expected.

> download/extract/goto apache 2.2.6
> ./configure --prefix=/Users/xxx/server/apache226 --enable-so --with-
> mpm=worker ; make ; make install
>
> download/extract/goto mod_jk 1.2.25
> .configure --with-apxs=/Users/xxx/server/apache226/bin/apxs
> make
> make install
>
> config mod_jk at apache226; start apache and volia mod_jk is up and
> runnig.

You do realize that it's linking to shared objects in your /Users/xxx/
server/apache226 tree and if you remove this tree the module is
broken due to the loss of shared object dependancies.

> I hope we can download the PPC binaries at Wednesday. I can check
> the mod_jk binaries with the standard Leopard apache 2.2.6
> installation.

If you're going to build it and make it available for downloading
then at least have the courtesy to build it natively as a universal
binary, this does not require -syslibroot/-sysroot or even NEXT_ROOT.

It's a matter of adding the appropriate build/link flags and of
course it wouldn't hurt to make a binary that has backward
compatability with 10.4 so you don't have a million modules.

Since mod_jk comes with a configure script it should be easy for
anyone with the 10.5 OS to do, something like:
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 CFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch i386 -g -Os  -
pipe -no-cpp-precomp" CCFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch i386 -g -Os  -pipe "
CXXFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch i386 -g -Os  -pipe " LDFLAGS="-arch ppc -
arch i386 -bind_at_load " ./configure --xxxx=XXXX --zzzz=ZZZZ

Then at least you'll have a binary worth distributing.

You could also add " -arch ppc64  -arch x86_64" so that you can take
advantage of the 64bit architectures on the machines that support it
like your G5.

If you want to make a dedicated 10.5.0 developer environment it's not
that hard, it takes about 2gb of disk space and when you update your
OS you'll be able to build for all 10.5.x in the environment and
retain full 10.5 compatibility where if you resort to using your main
OS install and you update the OS you effectively change the ability
to be backwards compatible because you'll be linking to a specific
version of the System library which probably wont have the ability to
be backwards compatible.

Then you can do away with MacPorts and the method in which it kills
diskspace and taints your environment by providing multiple
installations of the same software for different packages.

Oh, and if you haven't figured out, install the X11 and use those
libraries as dependancies whenever you can, they outperform anything
that MacPorts can create and stay away from fink.

> Regards
> Peter
>

> Am 29.10.2007 um 22:14 schrieb Christopher Schultz:

>> Richard,
>>
>> Richard Doust wrote:
>>> In case that image doesn't get through, (and to make this text
>>> searchable) it says:
>>
>> Thanks for posting the text: the image did not come through; mailing
>> lists rarely accept non-text attachments (and sometimes not even
>> then).
>>
>>> Cannot load /usr/libexec/apache2/mod_jk.so into server:
>>> dlopen(/usr/libexec/apache2/mod_jk.so, 10): no suitable image
>>> found. Did
>>> find /usr/libexec/apache2/mod_jk.so: mach-o, but wrong architecture.
>>
>> Can you run these on your system, please?
>>
>> $ uname -a
>>
>> $ file /path/to/mod_jk.so
>>
>> ??
>>
>> That should give us some technical details that should help. Also,
>> the
>> version of your compiler would be helpful, too (usually 'cc -v' or
>> something similar).
>>
>>> That's what I get.
>>> I tried using the mod_jk.so that I had working with the 1.3
>>> version of
>>> Apache just for hahas and get the same error, so I'm not sure what's
>>> going on.
>>
>> That's a little odd... it seems that Apache is complaining about the
>> architecture, instead of the httpd API version mismatch. The 1.3
>> binary
>> will certainly not work.
>>
>>> I was hoping some kind soul might have a working version of
>>> mod_jk.so
>>> for the PowerPC architecture.
>>> Any light you can help shed on the subject would be appreciated.
>>> Oh, the apxs file in /usr/sbin has a timestamp that leads me to
>>> believe
>>> it came with the new version of Apache.
>>
>> Good to know.
>>
>> - -chris

-- Dale

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by Richard Doust <rd...@mac.com>.
Rainer,
Thanks for looking at my question.

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Sorry, I've no direct solution. If /usr/sbin/apxs belongs to your Apache
2.2.6, the way you are doing it seems right. What exactly is the error
text, that you get from Apache during startup?

Regards,

Rainer

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by Peter Rossbach <pr...@objektpark.de>.
Hi!

thanks for the nice tipp, but the result is:

/usr/share/apr-1/build-1/libtool --silent --mode=compile gcc -I/usr/
include/apache2 -arch ppc -arch ppc64 -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -g -Os
-pipe -no-cpp-precomp -DHAVE_APR  -I/usr/include/apr-1 -I/usr/include/
apr-1 -arch ppc -arch ppc64 -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -g -Os  -pipe -no-
cpp-precomp -DDARWIN -DSIGPROCMASK_SETS_THREAD_MASK -no-cpp-precomp -
I /include -I /include/ -c jk_util.c -o jk_util.lo
jk_util.c: In function 'jk_gettid':
jk_util.c:1847: error: duplicate case value
jk_util.c:1845: error: previously used here
jk_util.c: In function 'jk_gettid':
jk_util.c:1847: error: duplicate case value
jk_util.c:1845: error: previously used here
lipo: can't open input file: /var/folders/Jh/Jh+xbtjtF5Ooj16aDgP84+++
+TI/-Tmp-//ccRS3pZV.out (No such file or directory)
make[1]: *** [jk_util.lo] Error 1

Peter

PS: I have successful test a ppc64 only binary.

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by BuildSmart <bu...@daleenterprise.com>.
On Oct 30, 2007, at 13:34:36, Richard Doust wrote:

> Dale,
> So what are you saying? It's working with that compile. Should I
> build it with some other set of options?
> Richard

What I said was IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO BUILD FOR ppc64 ONLY.

Without the ADE the chances that you could build for more than the 4
basics and have a module that will work are pretty much non-existant
unless you managed to obtain the /AppleInternal development tree (you
know, the files your missing when you try to build one of the Apple
source packages).

According to the developer documentation, "./configure CFLAGS='arch
ppc64' APXSLDFLAGS='arch ppc64' --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs" format is
not recommended and often times will yield a binary that is over
inflated and non-functional.

And that wont work anyways cause there a typo... it's "-arch" not
"arch", also, using precompiled headers for ppc on other
architectures isn't recommended either so it's wise to add "-no-cpp-
precomp" if you're building for more than ppc in your case.

One of the following will yield the results you need (I build at
Apple in the real ADE so I don't have your build issues).

MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 APXSLDFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch ppc64 -
bind_at_load "  CFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch ppc64 -g -Os  -pipe -no-cpp-
precomp" CCFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch ppc64 -g -Os  -pipe " CXXFLAGS="-
arch ppc -arch ppc64 -g -Os  -pipe " LDFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch ppc64 -
bind_at_load " ./configure --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs

MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 APXSLDFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch ppc64 -
arch i386 -arch x86_64 -bind_at_load "  CFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch ppc64
-arch i386 -arch x86_64 -g -Os  -pipe -no-cpp-precomp" CCFLAGS="-arch
ppc -arch ppc64 -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -g -Os  -pipe " CXXFLAGS="-
arch ppc -arch ppc64 -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -g -Os  -pipe "
LDFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch ppc64 -arch i386 -arch x86_64 -bind_at_load

-- Dale

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by Richard Doust <rd...@mac.com>.
Dale,

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by Peter Rossbach <pr...@objektpark.de>.
Hi,

this is not true. I have build a mod_jk ppc65 only binary and runit
successfull at my G5 with standard Leopard apache2.2.6 installation.

Peter

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by BuildSmart <bu...@daleenterprise.com>.
On Oct 30, 2007, at 10:37:13, Richard Doust wrote:

> Alex,
>
> QuadG5:native jboss$ ./configure CFLAGS='arch ppc64'
> APXSLDFLAGS='arch ppc64' --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs
>
> .
> .
> .
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for C compiler default output file name... configure:
> error: C compiler cannot create executables
> See `config.log' for more details.
>
> I also tried ppc_64. I'm looking for the right value now.
> I looked in the configure.log file and did a man on gcc and came to
> the understanding that:
>
> Ah, okay, -arch ppc64 is a valid parameter to the compiler, so I did:
>
> ./configure cflags='-arch ppc64' APXSLDFLAGS='-arch ppc64' --with-
> apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs
>
> and that made some makefiles which I then used to compile mod_jk.so.
>
> Now I'm dealing with some apache configuration parameters in my old
> config that are apparently no longer valid (AddModule). I'll take
> it from here.
> Thanks an awful lot for the help!
>
> This also explains why the old mod_jk.so generated the same error.
> It's looking at 32-bit vs. 64-bit before it gets to the api.

Not likely, that isn't how it works, apache isn't compiled for ppc64
only and it's not recommended to generate a ppc64 only module unless
you strip all of the 32bit architecture from all of the binaries and
force it to run in 64bit only which wont happen if you examine some
of the libraries in /usr/lib.

> Richard
>
> On Oct 30, 2007, at 9:44 AM, Alex Fuller wrote:
>

>> Alex Fuller wrote:
>>>

>>> it should come back with (for a G5):
>>>
>>> /usr/libexec/apache2/mod_alias.so (for architecture ppc64):	Mach-
>>> O 64-bit
>>> bundle ppc64
>>>
>>> Whereas I suspect on the one you're currently building you'd get:
>>>
>>> /usr/libexec/apache2/mod_alias.so (for architecture ppc7400):	Mach-O
>>> bundle ppc
>>>

>> Ha ha - obviously you would see a different path to the mod_jk.so
>> file, I
>> was using the Apple-built mod_alias.so as an example to check the
>> reported
>> architecture key.... :-/
>>
>> Alex
>> --

-- Dale

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by Richard Doust <rd...@mac.com>.
Alex,

QuadG5:native jboss$ ./configure CFLAGS='arch ppc64' APXSLDFLAGS='arch

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by Alex Fuller <al...@freerangedev.com>.

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by Alex Fuller <al...@freerangedev.com>.

Richard Doust wrote:

> Alex,
> Before I do this, I was just hoping for a quick confirmation from you
> that 'x86_64' is the correct value when it's a PowerPC architecture.
> Thanks,
> Richard

Hi,

Sorry I was thinking Intel Mac Pro. If you're on the G5 Mac Pro, I would try
'ppc64' rather than 'x86_64' (I'm not 100% sure if that's correct, but I
don't have a G5 around to test on).

No harm in trying - the worst that can happen is it ignores it or doesn't
build. To make 100% certain, after the 'make' but before the 'make install'
type the following:

file apache-2.0/mod_jk.so

it should come back with (for a G5):

/usr/libexec/apache2/mod_alias.so (for architecture ppc64):	Mach-O 64-bit
bundle ppc64

Whereas I suspect on the one you're currently building you'd get:

/usr/libexec/apache2/mod_alias.so (for architecture ppc7400):	Mach-O bundle
ppc

Then try the 'make install' and do an apachectl configtest and see if you
get an error.

Good luck,

Alex

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by BuildSmart <bu...@daleenterprise.com>.
On Oct 30, 2007, at 09:22:52, Richard Doust wrote:

> Alex,
> Before I do this, I was just hoping for a quick confirmation from
> you that 'x86_64' is the correct value when it's a PowerPC
> architecture.

Nope, ppc and ppc64 are your options.

> Thanks,
> Richard
>
> On Oct 30, 2007, at 7:56 AM, Alex Fuller wrote:
>

>> Richard Doust wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi.
>>> I upgraded my
>>> Mac's OS on Saturday to OS X 10.5 (Leopard).
>>> When I install the resultant mod_jk.so, Apache complains that it
>>> found
>>> mod_jk mach-o, but it is for the wrong architecture.
>>> If anyone has already done this, I'd love to hear from you.
>>>

>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> The problem is that Apache 2 on Mac OS 10.5 Leopard runs in 64-bit
>> mode on
>> machines which are 64-bit capable (Mac Pros and MacBook Pros for
>> sure). You
>> have to compile mod_jk to run on a 64-bit architecture, which
>> would be
>> straightforward - except that for compatibility, Apple has left 32-
>> bit mode
>> on all machines as default unless an application specifically invokes
>> 64-bit. Hence the configure command when building mod_jk detects a
>> 32-bit
>> architecture and has to be specifically instructed to use 64-bit.
>>
>> At least that's my best understanding of it, it may be inaccurate!
>> Anyway -
>> on to the solution (it worked for me anyway):
>>
>> Go into the 'native'  folder of your mod_jk source and type the
>> following:
>>
>> make clean
>> ./configure CFLAGS='-arch x86_64' APXSLDFLAGS='-arch x86_64'
>> --with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs
>> make
>> sudo make install
>>
>> (assuming you're not compiling as root, if you are, you won't need
>> the sudo
>> at the end)
>>
>> Hope that helps!
>>
>> Alex
>> --

-- Dale

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by Richard Doust <rd...@mac.com>.
Alex,

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by Richard Doust <rd...@mac.com>.
Thanks Chuck.
I thought that was the gist of the Apple text.
Richard

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by BuildSmart <bu...@daleenterprise.com>.
On Oct 30, 2007, at 11:21:43, Alex Fuller wrote:

> Christopher Schultz-2 wrote:
>>
>>> Uhhh... G5 is a 64-bit processor...
>>
>> Sorry, didn't see the G5 in there anywhere. Not that it matters.
>> x86_64
>> code still ain't gonna run.
>>
>> - -chris
>>

> It is gonna run on 64-bit Intel Macs. As stated above I originally
> thought
> Richard was on an Intel Mac Pro.
>
> And to avoid confusion for the many MacBook Pro and Intel-based Mac
> Pro
> users out there, hopefully this thread will be useful and you won't
> put them
> off trying -arch x86_64.
>
> It turns out in Richard's case he is on a G5 Mac Pro, so the
> fundamental
> problem is the same (32-bit code being built for a 64-bit
> application) but
> the architecture flag is different.
>
> For the many G5 Mac Pro & iMac users out there with the same
> problem, the
> instructions above will work as long as instead of -arch x86_64 you
> use
> -arch pc64
>
> Alex

I just built this in the ADE at Apple as an example of multiple
architectures, what Mac machine wont this module work on?

c12.apple.com:/var/root/tomcat-connectors-1.2.25-src/native root#
file apache-2.0/mod_jk.so
apache-2.0/mod_jk.so: Mach-O universal binary with 8 architectures
apache-2.0/mod_jk.so (for architecture ppc):      Mach-O dynamically
linked shared library ppc
apache-2.0/mod_jk.so (for architecture ppc750):   Mach-O dynamically
linked shared library ppc750
apache-2.0/mod_jk.so (for architecture ppc970):   Mach-O dynamically
linked shared library ppc970
apache-2.0/mod_jk.so (for architecture ppc7400):  Mach-O dynamically
linked shared library ppc7400
apache-2.0/mod_jk.so (for architecture ppc64):    Mach-O 64-bit
dynamically linked shared library ppc64
apache-2.0/mod_jk.so (for architecture i386):     Mach-O dynamically
linked shared library i386
apache-2.0/mod_jk.so (for architecture x86_64):   Mach-O 64-bit
dynamically linked shared library x86_64
apache-2.0/mod_jk.so (for architecture x86_128):  Mach-O 128-bit
dynamically linked shared library x86_128 (experimental)

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by Alex Fuller <al...@freerangedev.com>.

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC
>
> unless Apple's loader now includes x64 emulation on 32-bit PPC
> hardware, which I find unlikely.

Uhhh... G5 is a 64-bit processor...

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC

Posted by Richard Doust <rd...@mac.com>.
Chris,
I just read this on Apple's website:

Mac OS X Tiger breaks the limitations of 32-bit computing and allows
developers to create command-line applications, servers, and
computation engines that can work with mind-blowing amounts of memory.
Previous versions of Mac OS X have been able to take advantage of more
than 4GB of system memory when running on a G5-equipped Mac, but each
application was still subject to the 4GB limit imposed by a 32-bit
address space. Tiger obliterates that restriction and allows
applications to access a 64-bit address space when running on the
PowerPC G5. Better yet, this support comes with no compromise in the
ability to run current 32-bit applications.

So, it seems that at least the 64-bit part of Alex's post could be on
the right track?

Thanks,
Richard

Re: mod_jk for OS X PPC