Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Chris Brody <ch...@gmail.com> on 2019/01/24 18:31:41 UTC

[dev] some bad press

I recently saw an article about app frameworks, where Cordova sadly
shows up as the most dreaded framework in an image near the end:
https://medium.com/zerotomastery/tech-trends-showdown-react-vs-angular-vs-vue-61ffaf1d8706

and I just raised a minor usability issue:
https://github.com/apache/cordova/issues/71

And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

It makes me pretty sad to see this kind of bad press despite the
amount of efforts taken over the years to update and maintain such a
widely used framework.

I am starting to wonder if it is worth the amount of effort needed for
Cordova to remain competitive with alternatives such as Capacitor and
React Native.

Re: [dev] some bad press

Posted by Wojciech Trocki <wt...@redhat.com>.
Surveys are never really giving full overview of the community as they
represent views of the developers who are taking this survey.
The more reliable ways to see popularity is to check npm.js stats (for
usage) and github pulse (for community involvement).

If we compare react and cordova on npm we clearly can see that Cordova is
very very strong in terms of usage.

https://npmcharts.com/compare/cordova,react-native?interval=30

Those are cli packages that represent new users that will most likely
install them globally or using CI/CD.
Adding cordova-ios/cordova-android can give even nicer picture.
Npm stats can be also used to check usage of the different cordova plugins.

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 9:02 AM Jesse <pu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Don't be discouraged.  We've aways had some negativity.
> I think this is just part of being the OG. Data analysis is a science, and
> personally, I don't have a ton of faith in the science of this post.
>

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 12:30 AM Oliver Salzburg <
> oliver.salzburg@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Why do you feel the need to be competitive? Isn't it enough to serve all
> > the existing users that appreciate the framework as it is?
> >
> > Seems fine to me. And popularity is a pretty bad quality indicator IMHO,
> > especially when the source is the SO community.
> >
> > On 2019-01-24 19:31, Chris Brody wrote:
> > > I recently saw an article about app frameworks, where Cordova sadly
> > > shows up as the most dreaded framework in an image near the end:
> > >

> https://medium.com/zerotomastery/tech-trends-showdown-react-vs-angular-vs-vue-61ffaf1d8706
> > >
> > > and I just raised a minor usability issue:
> > > https://github.com/apache/cordova/issues/71
> > >
> > > And this is just the tip of the iceberg.
> > >
> > > It makes me pretty sad to see this kind of bad press despite the
> > > amount of efforts taken over the years to update and maintain such a
> > > widely used framework.
> > >
> > > I am starting to wonder if it is worth the amount of effort needed for
> > > Cordova to remain competitive with alternatives such as Capacitor and
> > > React Native.

WOJCIECH TROCKI

Red Hat Mobile <https://www.redhat.com/>

IM: wtrocki
<https://red.ht/sig>

Re: [dev] some bad press

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.

Re: [dev] some bad press

Posted by Steve Podell <st...@podell.com>.
I work on the WeVote.us non-profit voting tech project.
https://github.com/wevote/WebApp

About a year ago, I started a port of React to React Native -- some
people report 30% to 80% common code, but for us is was optimistically
10%.  We are a small group of volunteers, who put most of our front end
effort into our React Webapp.  After 3 months of working on the port,
the code that I was changing had diverged so much from the non-native
app, that I couldn't see a reasonable path to developing once and
deploying for both Webapp and Native.  I came to the painful decision to
put React Native aside.  We were developing two similar apps, and that
was too much work for us to afford.

We came to a similar decision a 3 or 4 years ago at FinancialForce, a
for-profit that was wrapping a JavaScript app for the Salesforce
platform in Cordova -- FinancialForce was a well funded company with a
successful product, and we couldn't afford to develop for two or three
platforms.  Their Cordova app is going strong.

The minor downsides of Cordova are truly minor -- it basically works
really well.

Cordova is exactly what we needed and still need, our WeVote Cordova
wrapper is in the iOS App Store and Google Play, and works great.

Please don't give up, Cordova has an important place in the market.

Thanks,
Steve

[dev] some bad press

Posted by gandhi rajan <ga...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> Why do you feel the need to be competitive? Isn't it enough to serve all
> the existing users that appreciate the framework as it is?
>
> Seems fine to me. And popularity is a pretty bad quality indicator IMHO,
> especially when the source is the SO community.
>
> On 2019-01-24 19:31, Chris Brody wrote:
>
>> I recently saw an article about app frameworks, where Cordova sadly
>> shows up as the most dreaded framework in an image near the end:
>> https://medium.com/zerotomastery/tech-trends-showdown-react-
>> vs-angular-vs-vue-61ffaf1d8706
>>
>> and I just raised a minor usability issue:
>> https://github.com/apache/cordova/issues/71
>>
>> And this is just the tip of the iceberg.
>>
>> It makes me pretty sad to see this kind of bad press despite the
>> amount of efforts taken over the years to update and maintain such a
>> widely used framework.
>>
>> I am starting to wonder if it is worth the amount of effort needed for
>> Cordova to remain competitive with alternatives such as Capacitor and
>> React Native.

Gandhi

"The best way to find urself is to lose urself in the service of others !!!"

Re: [dev] some bad press

Re: [dev] some bad press

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.
Well, the blog post doesn't even mentions Cordova, the image is from 2018
Stack Overflow Developer Survey, and "dreaded" means, the user answering
the survey checked the "I've used it this year" and didn't check the "I
plan to work with it next year".
At the same time it's in the loved chart with 40%, which means they checked
the "I plan to work with it next year"
So that means 6 of 10 Cordova users who answered the survey didn't want to
use it again.
At the same time, I don't think those questions can really measure if it's
dreaded or not, they should probably reword, but it's kind of click bait to
have "list of dreaded frameworks".

I think in previous years it even hit ~70%

Re: [dev] some bad press

Posted by Chris Brody <ch...@gmail.com>.