Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Chris Pat <cp...@yahoo.com> on 2005/11/23 17:48:55 UTC

odd return error

Hello
In my Action I am creating an object and storing it in
a db.  It works fine.  The next line I then call a
method on the object, does some lookups printoutsa
proof that it is working and then on the return gets

java.lang.NullPointerException
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processForwardConfig(RequestProcessor.java:372)

It is a boolean method that just returns a computed
boolean value that I have a println proving that the
falue is false.  I have upgraded to 5.5.12 and the
latest 1.2.8 struts.  Can anyone provide any insight?
Thank you.

Re: odd return error

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
5.5.12 of what?

--
James Mitchell
Consulting / Mentoring / Freelance

Re: odd return error

Posted by Borislav Sabev <b....@eventsoft.de>.
Chris Pat wrote:

>Hi Dave
>Okay the code is below.  What I am doing is creating
>sampleRequest from the action, then calling isAllowed.
> The sampleRequest is being successfully made and
>persisted in the db.  The isAlowed is failing.  I got
>both working from fine from the command line.  I am a
>relative struts newbie and this is the first time I am
>trying this type of coding under Tomcat 5.5.12.
>Thanks for your attention and any comments.
>
>public class sampleRequest
>    implements InstanceCallbacks {
>
>  private String fromHere;
>  private Date atThisTime;
>  private String thisMP3;
>  private String thisSession;
>  private String type;
>
>  public sampleRequest() {
>  }
>
>  public sampleRequest(String remoteAddr, Date
>dateTime, String thisMP3,
>                       String thisSession, String
>type, PersistenceManager pm) {
>
>/**
>    PersistenceManagerFactory pmf =
>KodoHelper.getPersistenceManagerFactory(
>        "kodo.properties");
>    PersistenceManager pm =
>pmf.getPersistenceManager();
>
>**/
>    String db =
>pm.getPersistenceManagerFactory().getConnectionURL();
>    System.out.println("the database= " + db);
>    this.fromHere = remoteAddr;
>    this.atThisTime = dateTime;
>    this.thisMP3 = thisMP3;
>    this.thisSession = thisSession;
>    this.type=type;
>    pm.currentTransaction().begin();
>    pm.makePersistent(this);
>    pm.currentTransaction().commit();
>    //pm.close();
>}
>
>  public boolean isAllowed(int
>samples,PersistenceManager pm) {
>    //051112 cp could be very dangerous on the issue
>of closing the pm.
>    //051112 cp for production really the same issues,
>just getting it from the TC plugin.
>    //051120 cp question if I can really use the same
>pm.  cant get a new one.
>    //051121 cp i am assuming the pm will "stay" with
>the object.  this could be dangerous.
>/**
>    PersistenceManagerFactory pmf =
>KodoHelper.getPersistenceManagerFactory("kodo.properties");
>    PersistenceManager pm =
>pmf.getPersistenceManager();
> **/
>
>    KodoQuery q = (KodoQuery)
>pm.newQuery(filesDM.helper.sampleRequest.class,"thisSession==thisSession
>& thisSession!=null");
>    q.setResult("count(this)");
>    Long count = (Long) q.execute();
>    System.out.println("from isAllowed count= " +
>count);
>    q.close(count);
>    pm.close();
>    boolean
>returnValue=(samples<count.intValue()?false:true);
>    System.out.println("samples < count.intValue())?
> [...]
Is hte string printed out properly - do you see it in out stream? can
you submit some code that actually calls this isAllowed() method.
I'll suggest you simple test - comment all the code in this method and
just return true - then you can understand where this
NullPointerException comes from. if everything is fine, then it ocurs in
this method and Struts doesn't have anything to do with the problem.

Borislav

Re: odd return error

Posted by Chris Pat <cp...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Dave
The problem is happening when I return from isAllowed.
 This is just a helper class that the action is
calling.  I just ass-umed that it would return to the
action called it on the stack.  But now that you flag
it I barely see that there might be some trouble with
multiple instances and a pool of these sampleRequest.

Is there a special forward that needs to be setup for
these type of helper classes to return properly?  I
never would have expected that.

Re: odd return error

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@pingsite.com>.

Re: odd return error