Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by Michael Marshall <mm...@apache.org> on 2021/12/03 16:56:52 UTC

[DISCUSS] How to handle stale PRs

Hi Pulsar Community,

I am excited to start contributing as a committer! I have a question
about our process for closing stale PRs.

We have ~300 open PRs right now. Do we have any guidelines on closing
stale PRs? Of course we don't want to ignore important bug fixes, but
we also don't want to clutter our repo with open PRs that won't get merged.

For example, I reviewed this PR [0] about 3 months ago. The
contributor has not yet responded to my feedback and it doesn't seem
to fix an actual bug, so I think it is a candidate for closure. Here
is another example [1]. I closed this one because it had merge
conflicts with a commit that fixed the same underlying issue.

Note that our committer guidelines [2] do not provide guidance on this subject.

[0] - https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/11237
[1] - https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/11162
[2] - https://github.com/apache/pulsar/wiki/Committer-Guide

Thanks,
Michael

Re: [DISCUSS] How to handle stale PRs

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
I just saw another project - https://github.com/openmessaging/benchmark uses probot-stale https://github.com/probot/stale

This looks like it has all the features needed to close both stale issues and PRs. It allows labels to be used to prevent closure of certain issues and PRs.

Here is their configuration: https://github.com/openmessaging/benchmark/blob/master/.github/stale.yml

This bot is allowed in GitHub.com/apache/ where 11 repositories are currently using it. When we are ready we will simply create an INFRA JIRA.

> On Dec 15, 2021, at 4:15 PM, Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On Dec 15, 2021, at 4:06 PM, Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Is #3267 Support set publish time on broker side one of those very valuable ideas that was later rejected, likely for performance reasons?
>>
>> No, this was one that was superseded by other changes.
>
> Then I’ll close it.
>

>>> One problem with the current state is that PRs and even higher level ideas
>>> have a shelf life.  Declaring PR bankruptcy does in fact solve this problem.
>>
>> I don't believe that is true in all cases and I absolutely don't
>> believe that it is not possible to keep up with the PRs, when the
>> reviewing workload is well balanced.
>

>> I'm seeing a lot of opinions here, but at the end of the day the
>> people doing the hard work of reviewing are always the same few ones.
>
> (1) These are opinions about how to do the work. If you want someone to JFDI it then I’m happy to start closing and labeling as I suggested.

I started closing PRs with a new label - status/stale

https://github.com/apache/pulsar/issues?q=label%3Astatus%2Fstale+is%3Aclosed

> (2) There is a kind of deference being shown to those individuals based on who the contributor selects for review. I wish there was a way for a contributor to ask the dev list for a review.

I plan to research how we might modify how reviews are requested. I think that can be in another thread.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matteo Merli <mm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Herzog <ch...@tibco.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
I’d like to point out that if we label auto-closed PRs properly it is easy enough to find them in the GitHub UI.

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
I think that there should be a label added to any old PR that a contributor wants to keep open. I think “status/hold” would be a good label name. That will keep others who wish to review old PRs and close them from wasting their time.

I looked at the labels and I wonder about those that are “triage/week-N” Do these have a consistent use case? And if so, what is it?

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Marshall <mm...@apache.org>.
> I'm not convinced by having a blanket policy here.

I'm fine with stopping short of an automated policy. However, I think
it'd be helpful to provide committers, especially new committers, with
conditions that make a PR eligible to be closed. Since committers act
on behalf of the PMC, documentation can give them confidence that they
are acting correctly.

Once we have guidance, I am happy to add it to the Committer Guide on
the wiki [0].

For example, we could say that a committer can close a PR when:

1. The PR's intended change is superseded by another change. In this
case, the committer should provide a reference to the other PR.
2. The PR's intended change has been rejected by the community. In
this case, the rejection must first be discussed on the mailing list.
3. The PR does not appear to fix an issue and the contributor has not
responded to a request for clarification within some time frame (maybe
a month?). In this case, the committer should note that the PR can be
reopened if/when the contributor is available to move the PR forward.

My goal in starting this thread was to clarify when I can close PRs.

[0] https://github.com/apache/pulsar/wiki/Committer-Guide

Posted by Matteo Merli <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Marshall <mm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
Agreed.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
I think that any Pulsar committer ought to close any PR that is more than one year old. That would clear about 75 from the backlog. The OP should be informed and if they are still interested then they can discuss it here.

So when a stale PR is closed we should suggest that the OP subscribe to and email dev@pulsar.apache.org to discuss the PR.

All the Best,
Dave
.