Posted to builds@apache.org by Gav <gm...@apache.org> on 2016/07/29 11:03:59 UTC

Jenkins JDK Matrix - and consolidating of versions.

Hi All,

So 99% of our Jenkins build machines are now puppetised with our configs in
our Git repos.
Going forward this should make things easier to maintain the software (and
versions of) on the nodes.

I went through all the JDK drop down options available in the Jenkins UI
when
creating a build.The Confluence wiki page at :-

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/JDK+Installation+Matrix

lists all them all. When choosing a version to use I hope that this
information will
prove useful - any changes made we will keep this page upto date.
However, some are not currently installed on the new puppetised
slaves (on purpose) and others we intend to consolidate down to fewer
versions.

In contrast, we will be able to make newer release versions available
quicker.

Once we are done with the JDKs, we'll move on to Maven, and then the rest.

Ok to specifics,

First major change to get out of the way is the removal of the 'auto
install' JDK
versions. They overlap with installed versions and going forward we would
rather
manage installation via Puppet and roll them out to all slaves in one hit.

Looking at the table in the linked wiki page above, this means we'll be
removing
eight (8) drop down options , 5 of those jdk 8, 2 x jdk 7 and 1 x jdk 6.
To avoid confusion we'll also be removing the auto install 'latest1.6'
'latest1.7' and 'latest1.8' options.

The best options for 'latest' versions is the ones at the top of the table
'JDK 1.x (Latest)'
which are all installed on all nodes and managed via puppet.

I'll point out also that we have installed 'unlimited security' versions of
1.6,1.7,1.8 jdks.

Very recent addition is also that of the JDK 9 b128 Early Access Build. We
hope you enjoy
this addition and please do give feedback on this version to the builds@
mailing list so we can pass it on - but certainly do not plan to base your
releases on these 'ea' builds. I'll try my best to add new ea builds as
they come through.

Last ones to mention are the IBM and Harmony versions. I'm not sure how
much in use
these are so I'm holding off on installing these for now. Please do ask for
a specific version
if needed. I'll drop the from the UI in time.

I intend to drop all the auto-install versions (they are 1.6u45, 1.7u45,
1.7u51, 1.8.0_05, 1.8.0_11, 1.8.0_45, 1.8.0_25, 1.8.0_66) 7 days from now,
along with the auto install latest links. Please plan
on migrating your builds away from these versions before then.

Any follow questions, please do concentrate your email responses to the
builds@ mailing list.

Thanks!

Gav... (On behalf of the Infrastructure Team)

Re: Jenkins JDK Matrix - and consolidating of versions.

Posted by Gav <ip...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 10:19 PM, Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We had a couple of failed Kafka builds using JDK 1.8 (latest) where the JDK
> was not found:
>
> https://builds.apache.org/job/kafka-trunk-jdk8/793/
> https://builds.apache.org/job/kafka-trunk-jdk8/794/
>
> The JDK was found OK in the previous build:
>
> https://builds.apache.org/job/kafka-trunk-jdk8/792/
>
> Maybe a misconfiguration in "jenkins-test-24f"?

Yep the jenkins-test cloud image is awaiting a rebuild

Gav...

--
Gav...

Re: Jenkins JDK Matrix - and consolidating of versions.

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi,

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi,

Posted by Gav <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi again,

Just an update for you,

All symlinks labelled

JDK 1.4 (latest), JDK 1.5 (latest), JDK 1.6 (latest), JDK 1.7 (latest), JDK
1.8 (latest)

All point to the very latest (and in some cases last) publically available
release as of today.

See :

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/JDK+Installation+Matrix

for accurate up to date information.

Enjoy.

Gav...

Fwd: Jenkins JDK Matrix - and consolidating of versions.

Posted by Adina Crainiceanu <ad...@usna.edu>.
FYI: Since the Java labels on the Apache Jenkins were changed, I changed
our build incubator-rya-develop to use "JDK 1.8 (latest)" instead of
"latest 1.8". Last build completed without problems.

Adina

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
Hi Gav!

I updated all of the HBase related builds to use the 'JDK 1.x (latest)' labels for JDK selection, but now we have several multiple-configuration builds that fail.

One of our community members tracked it down to the addition of spaces (and perhaps parens?) used in the JDK names, since these end up in the path of the working directory during multi-configuration builds where JDK version is one of the test axes.

Any chance we could consolidate on JDK labels that don't have characters that are problematic, like spaces and parens?

-busbey

Posted by Gav <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by Gav <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Sat, Jul 30, 2016 at 4:41 AM, Uwe Schindler <us...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>

> in addition, the „JDK 7 (latest)“ according to the installation matrix is
> too old and buggy. Lucene is known to be broken with those old JDK versions
> (we require from our users to user later versions, the minimum is JDK 7u65
> for the Lucene 5 branch).
>

> JDK 8 (latest) is fine as its rather new.
>

> Could you use the recent JDK 7u90 builds like the “deprecated” latest1.7
> builds. Or did I misunderstood the term “latest”? J

You understood correct, I do need to go over them all still.

I have installed the jdk1.7.0_80 which is the last release.

HTH

Gav...

uschindler@apache.org <ma...@apache.org>

 <http://lucene.apache.org/> http://lucene.apache.org/

FYI, I switched all Lucene/Solr ASF Jenkins jobs’ configuration from “latest1.8” to “JDK 1.8 (latest)” (except for the 5.5 branch Java7 build, which I switched from "latest1.7” to “JDK 1.7 (latest)”) - more info below.

--

Steve

www.lucidworks.com <http://www.lucidworks.com>

Begin forwarded message:

Posted by Uwe Schindler <us...@apache.org>.
Hi Gav,

sorry for responding late – I am currently on vacation!

About your questions: In the past we required some extra modules (like older Subversion to be compatible with the older Jenkins Checkouts). As we are on Git now and the build scripts use JGit to fetch revision numbers and check for clean checkouts, this is obsolete. So if you want to install the “Jenkins puppet module”, we are fine.

There is one special case for Lucene:

We have a hardware-specific “lucene.build.properties” file in Jenkin’s root and also some additional “test files” (large wikiepdia checkouts) that are used for nightly tests. If the puppet module does not delete those files in current ~/jenkins, it is ok. We would still need access to the machine and sudo to jenkins.

If this is all fine, go ahead!

Uwe

-----

Posted by Gav <gm...@apache.org>.
Hello Uwe,

Posted by Gav <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi Uwe,

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.
Sorry, that was a dumb question - I didn’t look at those two paths close enough to see that one was a prefix of the other...

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Rowe <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
All,

Please see below email from Gav RE Jenkins.

If no one sees any issues, I'd like to go through all of our jobs and:

- Anything pointing to a Java 6 build switch to JDK 1.6 (latest)
- Similarly for Java 7/Java 8

John

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2016-07-29, Gav wrote:
> I went through all the JDK drop down options available in the Jenkins UI
> when
> creating a build.The Confluence wiki page at :-

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/JDK+Installation+Matrix

> lists all them all. When choosing a version to use I hope that this
> information will
> prove useful - any changes made we will keep this page upto date.
> However, some are not currently installed on the new puppetised
> slaves (on purpose) and others we intend to consolidate down to fewer
> versions.

Thanks a lot!

I tried to configure
https://builds.apache.org/job/Ant-Build-Matrix-1.9.x according to this
matrix. For some reason the "JDK 1.X (unlimited security) 64-bit Windows
only" with X=7,8 don't seem to work. Do I need to narrow down the
selection of nodes beyond "label=Windows"?

Also I've frequently run into OutOfMemory errors in the Ubuntu nodes,
most notable the HXY nodes. For now I use !yahoo-not-h2 to restrict the
selection of Ubuntu nodes, I am not sure this is the best option,
though.

> The best options for 'latest' versions is the ones at the top of the table
> 'JDK 1.x (Latest)'
> which are all installed on all nodes and managed via puppet.

Does platform "Ubuntu" mean these options are not available to Windows
nodes?

> Very recent addition is also that of the JDK 9 b128 Early Access
> Build.

This is awesome.  Unfortunately it didn't work in our case either.

https://builds.apache.org/job/Ant-Build-Matrix-1.9.x/32/jdk=JDK%209%20b128%20(early%20access%20build),label=Ubuntu/console

,----
| Error: JAVA_HOME is not defined correctly.
|   We cannot execute /home/jenkins/tools/java/jdk-9-ea-b128/bin/java
`----

Cheers

        Stefan

Fwd: Jenkins JDK Matrix - and consolidating of versions.

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
fyi

Posted by Gav <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 5:02 PM, Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have some builds that so far occasionally run on Windows and other
> times on Ubuntu depending which resources are free. It is also a nice way
> to randomly check if the build works on both of these platforms.
>
> Looking at the matrix, it seems that none of the JDK labels works cross
> platform, i.e. on Windows and Ubuntu - is that correct?

Yes correct. I would create  a matrix build perhaps, making sure to chose
labels that have 'Windows' in them for that platform.

HTH

Gav...

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi Gav,

When I change Airavata job from latest1.8 to JDK 1.8 (latest) an extra -XX shows up in command and the build fails. Any guidance on a fix?

Modules changed, recalculating dependency graph
Established TCP socket on 47606
maven32-agent.jar already up to date
maven32-interceptor.jar already up to date
maven3-interceptor-commons.jar already up to date
[Airavata] $ /home/jenkins/tools/java/latest1.8/bin/java -Xmx2g -Xms256m -XX -cp /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/maven32-agent.jar:/home/jenkins/tools/maven/latest3/boot/plexus-classworlds-2.5.2.jar:/home/jenkins/tools/maven/latest3/conf/logging jenkins.maven3.agent.Maven32Main /home/jenkins/tools/maven/latest3/ /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/slave.jar /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/maven32-interceptor.jar /home/jenkins/jenkins-slave/maven3-interceptor-commons.jar 47606
Unrecognized option: -XX
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
ERROR: Failed to launch Maven. Exit code = 1

Thanks,
Suresh

FW: Jenkins JDK Matrix - and consolidating of versions.

Posted by "Sun, Dapeng" <da...@intel.com>.
FYI.

The failure of nightly build for v1(https://builds.apache.org/job/Sentry-jdk-1.7) is caused by the following reasons, I changed the JDK version to 1.7u51.

Regards
Dapeng

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 5/08/2016 10:13am, Gav wrote:
> intention to consolidate JDK versions in
> our Jenkins instance. I gave 7 days notice.

I did this a few days ago for Cayenne. I also took the opportunity to add Java 9 just for laughs. That build failed because of MaxPermSize (now an error in Java 9 rather than a warning) which I now removed and ran it again. Let's see if it goes through, and whether Java 9 gives us any other errors.

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Fwd: Jenkins JDK Matrix - and consolidating of versions.

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Dear All,

Do we have to make or request changes to the DeviceMap build jobs based on
that?

AFAIK we're still running Java 6 and unlesss changes are made that would
require 7 or 1.6 was dropped from Apache Jenkins I see no reason to change
it.

Cheers,

Werner

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi Gav,

Posted by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com>.
Nope, I can login, but haven't access to the configure screen :-/

We requested our jenkins job through Jira, and we've only requested a
change on it, which was also on jira, if I recall correctly. I don't
currently have access to my pc, so I can't fiddle around too much, but most
probably we can request configure permissions for our job :-?

br,
juan pablo

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
JP? Do you have access?