Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Richard Hubbell <ri...@yahoo.com> on 2007/10/20 01:31:24 UTC

http request and .*

The http request always ends up on http://.*/.*
Is there a way to prevent that from happening?
I followed the example which describes to use those
regex in the server and path fields in the http
request. I am using the html link parser.

Re: http request and .*

Posted by Richard Hubbell <ri...@yahoo.com>.
--- sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can you explain the flow of that in pseudo-code?
> > (using the link parser and a sampler)
>
> See above.

Ok, you can't, fair enough.

I wonder if others using Jmeter have problems when
they attempt any complex test plans.

I think the examples are a good start but they're too
similar to each other and
don't show enough of what the tool can do.
The GUI abstracts what's happening underneath too far
and so it's hard to
follow what's happening.

What do other newcomers think about using Jmeter?
Easy? Hard? Could use a little more
of this? Or that?

Re: http request and .*

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 30/10/2007, Richard Hubbell <ri...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 30/10/2007, Richard Hubbell
> > it
> > not
> > >
> > > So if the regex is "one or more of something" than
> > > should never see it trying to do a GET
> > http://.+/.+
> > > right? Or is something else at play here?
> > >

> > I don't understand what you are saying here.
> >
> > The Link Parser looks for links in the previous
> > page, and tries to
> > match them against the current sampler.
>
> You don't understand me and I don't understand Jmeter.
> We're not getting anywhere.

"This modifier parses HTML response from the server and extracts links
and forms. A URL test sample that passes through this modifier will be
examined to see if it "matches" any of the links or forms extracted
from the immediately previous response. It would then replace the
values in the URL test sample with appropriate values from the
matching link or form. Perl-type regular expressions are used to find
matches.

Matches are performed using protocol, host, path and parameter names.
The target sampler cannot contain parameters that are not in the
response links."

If the sampler does not match any links (or there are no links) then
the sampler will not be modified.

> I still don't understand how the sampler could
> do a GET http://.+/.+

If the sampler has not been modified, then it will do whatever you
have told it to do.

> That's literally what the server sees Jmeter doing.

Of course.

> Can you explain the flow of that in pseudo-code?
> (using the link parser and a sampler)

See above.

> > should

> > context,

> > be

> > loop

> > It
> > but

> > thing.

> > run in
> > the

> > multiple
> > >
> > > Better for what?  Better's loaded with context.
> >
> > Fewer resources.
>
> Shouldn't be a limiting factor in testing, if it is,
> it will be hard to push a system hard enough to see
> how it behaves at high transaction rate.

Indeed, which is why it is important to use the test tool efficiently.

> > > Not every test is a onesy-twosy affair.  Sometimes
> > > people want 10,000 threads in parallel hammering a
> > > website or service. It happens that way.  Better
> > > find out sooner if it's going to fall over.
> >
> > Indeed, but 10,000 threads with 1 loop will have at
> > most a few threads
> > running in parallel at any one time.
>
> That depends on the test though.

Of course.

But more threads still require more resources.

> > It is also not an efficient use of JMeter, as the
> > thread startup costs
> > are likely to be a significant proportion of the
> > total.
>
> See above.  Make sure to have plenty of RAM.

And CPU.

> > > Yes and many threads can represent a single user.
> >
> > I disagree; multiple parallel threads inherently
> > represent multiple users.
>
> It's not a matter of disagreeing, it's more about what
> you want to test.  What if a page has 50 db
> connections via ajax or something. One user loads one
> page and that cause 50 transactions plus css, plus
> imgs, plus js, plus, etc., etc.
>

> > E.g. a human user with a single keyboard can only
> > provide input to a
> > single browser at a time.
>
> Not if they're running Jmeter. (^:
> See above.

But that is not a real-world user.

> > Though of course if one thread finishes before the
> > next one begins
> > they could represent one user, but then why bother
> > with multiple
> > threads?
>
> Well maybe you want to do that to test something you
> haven't imagined or encountered.

Of course you are free to use JMeter as you see fit.

Re: http request and .*

Posted by Richard Hubbell <ri...@yahoo.com>.

Re: http request and .*

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 30/10/2007, Richard Hubbell <ri...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I guess bugzilla would be best in this case, I'll
> > do
> > > that.  In a sense it's unfortunate that the jmx
> > files
> > > can't be discussed right here since this is a user
> > > group and users seem to have many questions about
> > the
> > > jmx since the jmx is everything.
> >
> > By all means discuss JMeter test plans, but posting
> > anything more than
> > a very short extract is counter-productive IMO.
> >
> > The only easy way to "read" the files is to load
> > them into JMeter, and
> > that is not at all easy to do from a mailgroup
> > posting.
> >
> > Even extracts from jmeter log files are difficult to
> > read when posted
> > in an e-mail because of the line-wrapping that
> > occurs.
> >
> > > Jmeter is the jmx from a user perspective.
> > >

> > > It is possible, but what's the alternative for
> > > recursing over links on pages? I tried using the
> > > feature in the HTTP Request sampler to get only
> > > "Embedded URLs must match" regex but that was too
> > > limiting.  Can you describe in greater detail how
> > > complex a regex can go into that field?
> >
> > As complex as you like, but of course that may
> > increase the resources
> > needed to process it.
> >
> > > Would something like this work?
> > > href="([^"]+)"|img="([^\s]+)"|imgurl="([^\s]+)"
> >
> > What are you trying to achieve?
>
> Trying to match as many embedded url types as
> possible.

In that case, why try to restrict the URLs that match?

Re: http request and .*

Posted by Richard Hubbell <ri...@yahoo.com>.

Re: http request and .*

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: http request and .*

Posted by Richard Hubbell <ri...@yahoo.com>.

Re: http request and .*

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: http request and .*

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 23/10/2007, Richard Hubbell <ri...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Sampler: http://www.google.com/
> >
> > Sampler: host=.* path=.* parameter: hl=.*
> > + Link Preprocessor
> >
> > What did you try?
>
> Mine differs a little. I used a CSV file element for
> the thread group, so a variable passed to the 1st
> sampler (google in your case) and I didn't use the
> "parameter: hl=.*" as you have it.

Mine also works without the hl parameter.

Try and get it working without variables at first.

Re: http request and .*

Posted by Richard Hubbell <ri...@yahoo.com>.

Re: http request and .*

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Sampler: http://www.google.com/

HTTp Proxy Server recording aplications with Ajax

Posted by Adrián Alberto Rojas González <ar...@AVANTICATEC.NET>.
Hi, all

I have a question, Jmeter can recording aplications that it development with Ajax (this aplication use the Google Web Tool Kit)? Because I used the "HTTp Proxy Server" to recorder the test in the aplication and the request not recording, please help me

Thanks

Adrian

Re: http request and .*

Posted by Richard Hubbell <ri...@yahoo.com>.