Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2013/05/08 21:29:52 UTC

Re: Numeric fields and payload

: is it possible to store (text) payload to numeric fields (class
: solr.TrieDoubleField)?  My goal is to store measure units to numeric
: features - e.g. '1.5 cm' - and to use faceted search with these fields.
: But the field type doesn't allow analyzers to add the payload data. I
: want to avoid database access to load the units. I'm using Solr 4.2 .

I'm not sure if it's possible to add payloads to Trie fields, but even if
there is i don't think you really want that for your usecase -- i think it
would make a lot more sense to normalize your units so you do consistent
sorting, range queries, and faceting on the values regardless of wether
it's 100cm or 1000mm or 1m.

-Hoss

Re: Numeric fields and payload

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Peter:

I don't quite get this. Formatting to display is trivial as it's
usually done for just a few docs anyway. You could also
just store the original unaltered value and add an additional
"normalized" field.

Best
Erick

Posted by PETER LENAHAN <pe...@ibi.com>.