Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by Ayende Rahien <Ay...@Ayende.com> on 2004/09/23 01:07:54 UTC

FW: What to use?

I'm more than a little bit confused regarding logging & exception handling.
To start with, I want to use a single point in my applications for logging
and possibly for exception handling.
My problem is that I don't know what to choose.
I checked the following:
- log4net
- MS Exception Application Block
- MS Logging Application Block - read the docs, didn't look too deeply

What are the respective advantages?
I've found log4net easy to use, so I'm thinking of using it.
I don't see how to use the Exception block for anything but logging
exceptions, and I don't see what value it adds over log4net.
The logging block looks to be very complex in comparison with log4net. Can
you tell me what I get from using the application blocks?
Specifically, what does the exception block add beside a way to log
exceptions? Does it add some exception handling?

RE: What to use?

Posted by Mario Gutierrez <mg...@firstam.com>.
log4net is cleaner. The exception application block is as you say a
block to log or 'Publish' exceptions. I was hoping it would give
guidance on how to handle differents type of exceptions and when/how to
bubble exceptions. I didn't read too much on the logging application
block. There aren't many things out there as elegant as log4j, ummm i
mean log4net :)