Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Britske <gb...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/19 12:39:24 UTC

T5: HibernateEntityValueEncoder nullpointerException after Tapestry update

I'm in the process of updating from 5.0.17 to 5.1.0.5 and breaking my head on
this one:

Getting a NullPointerException in HibernateEntityValueEncoder when trying to
loop a hibernate Entity where the entity has a multi-column id.

I actually have this with every entity with a multi-column id so please
consider the below as an example of the generalized case. See relevant
snippets as well as trace below.

After some investigation it SEEMS that:

- looping of entities (for which HibernateEntityValueEncoder is called)
WORKS for entities with standard IDs
- looping FAILS for entities with an @IdClass specified (i.e: multi-column
id)\
 - querying of all entities works (so it isn't a hibernate issue as far as I
can tell)

I double checked this by transforming the mapped class to contain a single
id instead of the multi-column id
(I simply concatenated the columns that made up the id in sql and updated
this value to a new column. Afterwards I assigned this new column to be the
id of the table, and updated the hibernate entity accordingly. )

Afterwards the code just works.

Is there a reason why multi-column entities don't seem to be working in my
case? All dependencies are correct as far as I can tell. Anyone experienced
this?

relevant code:

.tml
------------------------
<t:loop source="CityTemperaturesOrEmptyIfNonFound" value="CurCityTemp"> <!--
LINE GIVING ERROR -->
${CurCityTemp.temp}
</t:loop>

Please note that simply calling CityTemperaturesOrEmptyIfNonFound from a
different method just works and returned results. It's just that the
looping-code raises the error because the entity can't be encoded.
(stacktrace at the end)

relevant part of old entity class:  (FAILS)
@Entity
@Table(name = "citytemperatures")
@IdClass(CityTemperatureId.class) //CityTemperatureId is default id class
combining two columns
public class CityTemperatureBak
{
	@Id
	private String cityid;

	@Id
	private String dateid;
}

relevant part of new entity class (WORKS)
@Entity
@Table(name = "citytemperatures")
public class CityTemperature
{
	@Id
	private String id;

	private String cityid;
	private String dateid;
}

relevant part of stacktrace:
------------------------------------
	at
org.apache.tapestry5.internal.hibernate.HibernateEntityValueEncoder.<init>(HibernateEntityValueEncoder.java:54)
	at
org.apache.tapestry5.hibernate.HibernateModule$1.create(HibernateModule.java:100)
	at
org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.ValueEncoderSourceImpl.getValueEncoder(ValueEncoderSourceImpl.java:49)
	at
$ValueEncoderSource_1233238c1f1.getValueEncoder($ValueEncoderSource_1233238c1f1.java)
	at
org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.ComponentDefaultProviderImpl.defaultValueEncoder(ComponentDefaultProviderImpl.java:116)
	at
$ComponentDefaultProvider_1233238c0cd.defaultValueEncoder($ComponentDefaultProvider_1233238c0cd.java)
	at
org.apache.tapestry5.corelib.components.Loop.defaultEncoder(Loop.java:304)
	at
org.apache.tapestry5.corelib.components.Loop.containingPageDidLoad(Loop.java)
	at
org.apache.tapestry5.internal.structure.ComponentPageElementImpl$4.run(ComponentPageElementImpl.java:98)
	at
org.apache.tapestry5.internal.structure.ComponentPageElementImpl.invoke(ComponentPageElementImpl.java:933)
	... 61 more

Thanks
Geert-Jan

Re: T5: HibernateEntityValueEncoder nullpointerException after Tapestry update

Posted by buckofive <kl...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Was this issue ever resolved or is there a JIRA open for it (I couldn't find
one)?  We are experiencing this exact same scenario ie, Moving from 5.0 to
5.1 and using a composite-id entity in a loop.

thanks,

Re: T5: HibernateEntityValueEncoder nullpointerException after Tapestry update

Posted by Britske <gb...@gmail.com>.
I'm not sure if HibernateEntityValueEncoder called
PersistentClass.getIdentifierProperty() before (in 5.0.x) when my code
worked...

getIdentifierProperty() returns an instance of hibernate.mapping.Property
which may be a Composite ID (which seems to be the official name for
multi-column ids). In other words this method should return the id-property
of my class even though this 'property' isn't defined by a single field in
my case.

So I think it should return a property, although a  multi-valued one.
All this indeed strongly suggests that it is a hibernate issue..

I will investigate further.

Thanks.

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@spielviel.de>.