Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by David Doucette <da...@citilink.com> on 2001/06/02 06:49:51 UTC

Newbie - How to checkout/build everything

I've found some information on the net where people have asked this same
question (due to problems with build dependencies) and were given a cvs
command to checkout everything required to do a full build.  However, this
failed for me, so I'm assuming I need the latest
information.  Specifically, I think I was told the module name was invalid.

If someone could give me the full cvs line needed to checkout the module
containing everything (including dependencies that James needs) and the
batch files to run to build the thing, I would really appreciate it.

In addition, is there any documentation on how mailets and the XML config
file work?  The information I've found online seems very sparse.

Thanks!
david@citilink.com

PS.  If anyone responsible for the list software is reading this -- the
list software is reading the "From" header in my e-mail messages instead of
the "From:" (with colon) header.  Unfortunately, Elm (my mail client
normally) is putting my login name (just "david") for the From
header.  Although I can create an elmheaders file and cause the From:
header to have my full e-mail address, and although this works for anyone
I've ever sent e-mail to, it isn't working for the list software.  I didn't
get any replies when I tried to subscribe, so I sent from a different mail
program that doesn't even create a "From" header, and only creates a
"From:" header.

Re: Newbie - How to checkout/build everything

Posted by Jim Rudnicki <jd...@pacbell.net>.
From: "Charles Benett" <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>

> > If someone could give me the full cvs line needed to checkout the module
> > containing everything (including dependencies that James needs) and the
> > batch files to run to build the thing, I would really appreciate it.
>
> For the last release (December 2000 - James 1.2.1), you need to get the
> tag JAMES-1_2_1 from jakarta-james module and the tag avalon-james-1-1b1
> from module java-framework (both modules in jakarta.apache.org:/home/cvs

Charles,
I was looking for the same and just tried the above.  The java-framework
module does not exist.  In jakarta-avalon the revision avalon-james-1-1b1
does not exist.

any other ideas?  I was also trying to find the old avalon sources.

Jim

Re: Newbie - How to checkout/build everything

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.
David Doucette wrote:

> I've found some information on the net where people have asked this same
> question (due to problems with build dependencies) and were given a cvs
> command to checkout everything required to do a full build.  However, this
> failed for me, so I'm assuming I need the latest
> information.  Specifically, I think I was told the module name was invalid.
>
> If someone could give me the full cvs line needed to checkout the module
> containing everything (including dependencies that James needs) and the
> batch files to run to build the thing, I would really appreciate it.

For the last release (December 2000 - James 1.2.1), you need to get the
tag JAMES-1_2_1 from jakarta-james module and the tag avalon-james-1-1b1
from module java-framework (both modules in jakarta.apache.org:/home/cvs

For current cvs (which is quite different), you need the modules
jakarta-james, jakarta-avalon, jakarta-avalon-phoenix,
jakarta-avalon-cornerstone and jakarta-avalon-logkit

> In addition, is there any documentation on how mailets and the XML config
> file work?  The information I've found online seems very sparse.

Nothing beyond the web jakarta.apache.org/james and email archives.
(Until someone writes some!)

Charles