Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Vanson Lim <vl...@cisco.com> on 2015/04/01 00:04:35 UTC

Stratos not properly terminating VMs to fail to startup

Devs,

I've simulated the case where openstack fails to bring up a VM (we've seen this before in cases where required resources are not available
or there is some IAAS problem/timeout which caused the VM to failure to launch), in this case we cause this failure by specifying the
cartridge to have a fixed ip address is not part of the network which the VM attaches to.  The network is defined with a 10.0.0.0/24
subnet, but I've specified a fixed ip=10.0.8.1 for cause the VM startup to fail.

The VM start fails and the VM remains in an error state the of the "pendingMemberExpiryTimeout" period set in the autoscaler.xml file.

Stratos fails to delete the VM in error state and attempts to start a new VM, which also fails to launch.

This presumably repeat itself creating an additional VM in error state during each iteration until we've exhausted all the resources in the
system.

wso2carbon.log and cartridge definition attached.

-Vanson

Re: Stratos not properly terminating VMs to fail to startup

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.
IMO we should move this into next release since this is not a blocker. WDYT?

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: Stratos not properly terminating VMs to fail to startup

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.

--
Imesh Gunaratne

Technical Lead, WSO2
Committer & PMC Member, Apache Stratos

Re: Stratos not properly terminating VMs to fail to startup

Posted by Vanson Lim <vl...@cisco.com>.

Posted by "Jeffrey Nguyen (jeffrngu)" <je...@cisco.com>.
Hi Anuruddha,

From: Anuruddha Liyanarachchi <an...@wso2.com>>
Date: Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 4:43 AM
To: "dev@stratos.apache.org<ma...@stratos.apache.org>" <de...@stratos.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Stratos not properly terminating VMs to fail to startup

Posted by Anuruddha Liyanarachchi <an...@wso2.com>.
Hi Vanson / Jeffery,

--
a <th...@wso2.com>nuruddhal@wso2.com

Re: Stratos not properly terminating VMs to fail to startup

Posted by "Jeffrey Nguyen (jeffrngu)" <je...@cisco.com>.
Hi Vanson,