Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Roger Lipscombe <ro...@differentpla.net> on 2003/10/15 20:55:57 UTC

svn+ssh:// asks for password twice

I've only had a brief stab at finding this in the issue tracker, so please
forgive me if it's in there and I've not found it.

I've just built subversion-0.31.0 from the source tarball (against db-4.1.25
-- I'm not using apache).  I'm planning to use it for some personal hackery,
which is currently stored in CVS.

I'm just playing with it on my local machine this evening, and it all seems
fine so far.

Except for one thing:

When I checkout my repository with svn+ssh://, I'm asked for my password
twice:

vague:~/tmp> svn co svn+ssh://localhost/home/roger/repos
roger@localhost's password:
roger@localhost's password:
A  repos/lumberjack
A  repos/lumberjack/access_record.cpp
.
.
.
A  repos/.cvsignore
Checked out revision 1.
vague:~/tmp>

Yes, I'm sure I'm typing the password correctly :-)

If I try to 'ssh' to localhost, it asks for my password once, and then works
correctly.

If I attempt the same access with file://, it works:

vague:~/tmp> rm -rf repos
vague:~/tmp> svn co file:///home/roger/repos
A  repos/lumberjack
A  repos/lumberjack/access_record.cpp
.
.
.
A  repos/.cvsignore
Checked out revision 1.
vague:~/tmp>

Is there anything I can look at that might help diagnose the problem?

Regards,
Roger.

Re: svn+ssh:// asks for password twice

Posted by Vincent Lefevre <vi...@vinc17.org>.
On 2003-10-15 17:08:53 -0400, mark benedetto king wrote:
> Some operations open two repository connections, rather than one.

Some need 4 (svn diff -r1:2). Fortunately, I'm using ssh-agent, however
this is a bit slow.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vi...@vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated (X)HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International

Re: svn+ssh:// asks for password twice

Posted by Vincent Lefevre <vi...@vinc17.org>.
On 2003-10-15 17:58:22 -0400, Brian Mathis wrote:
> Keychain is a script that handles setting up ssh-agent for you, so you
> only have to run the agent once for multiple login sessions to the same
> machine:
> 	http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-keyc2/

I wrote something similar for zsh. But unlike keychain, my script
doesn't ask the passphrase at the beginning. It is asked only when
need be (for the first remote connection); this is done by a set
of wrappers.

Posted by Brian Mathis <bm...@directedge.com>.
Roger Lipscombe wrote:
 > mark benedetto king wrote:
[...]
> Yeah, I've got ssh-agent and authorized_keys configured on my other  boxes --
> just not for localhost. I don't tend to ssh into 'localhost'. There
> seems to be very little point, since I'm usually sitting in front of
> it :-)
>
> OT: What's this "keychain" thing you refer to?
>
> Regards, Roger.

Then what's the point of using svn+ssh to localhost?

Keychain is a script that handles setting up ssh-agent for you, so you
only have to run the agent once for multiple login sessions to the same
machine:
	http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-keyc2/

--
Brian Mathis
http://www.directedge.com/b/

RE: svn+ssh:// asks for password twice

Posted by Roger Lipscombe <ro...@differentpla.net>.

mark benedetto king wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 09:55:57PM +0100, Roger Lipscombe wrote:
> >
> > When I checkout my repository with svn+ssh://, I'm asked for my
> > password
> > twice:
> >

> Some operations open two repository connections, rather than one.
>
> This turns into to ssh invocations, which means you'll get
> prompted twice.

OK.  That's fair enough, I suppose.

> It is extremely unlikely that this will be changed before 1.0.

OK.

> If this is particularly problematic for you, you might want
> to investigate using public-key authentication and
> "ssh-agent", perhaps coupled with something like "keychain".

Yeah, I've got ssh-agent and authorized_keys configured on my other boxen --

Posted by mark benedetto king <mb...@lowlatency.com>.
On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 09:55:57PM +0100, Roger Lipscombe wrote:

> When I checkout my repository with svn+ssh://, I'm asked for my password
> twice:

Some operations open two repository connections, rather than one.

This turns into to ssh invocations, which means you'll get prompted
twice.

It is extremely unlikely that this will be changed before 1.0.

If this is particularly problematic for you, you might want to investigate
using public-key authentication and "ssh-agent", perhaps coupled with
something like "keychain".

--ben