Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Johan Andries <ja...@schaubroeck.be> on 2004/03/31 15:56:50 UTC

multilevel POM inheritance

Hello,

I've been browsing through all kinds of Maven info (docs, wiki, mail archive, I'net) concerning multilevel POM inheritance. AFAIK the conclusion is that multilevel inheritance will only be fully supported in Maven Next Generation. I've done a small test though and when one performs two-level inheritance (i.e. inherit from an already inherited POM) no error is shown and at first sight everything is running fine from the "deeply inherited" POM.
The generated site for my "two level" POM shows all dependencies correctly. Or am I just experiencing a strange side-effect? Or is the statement on the official Maven docs concerning the fact that "only one level of inheritance is tested" correct? Just want to get sure about this.

regards,
Johan

Re: multilevel POM inheritance

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 08:56, Johan Andries wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been browsing through all kinds of Maven info (docs, wiki, mail archive, I'net) concerning multilevel POM inheritance. AFAIK the conclusion is that multilevel inheritance will only be fully supported in Maven Next Generation.

Dependency on the lifespan of 1.x the components use in Maven2 can be
integrated into Maven 1.x. It would be quite easy and it's one thing
that I would like to see done as it will make the transition from 1.x to
2.x easier and it just works in 2.x.

We need to get 1.0 out and then we can consider integrating in the
components.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl