Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Kenneth Mazikowski <ou...@outlook.com> on 2020/10/10 15:59:34 UTC

Trapping of documentation typed by me

I find that recent documentation written by me is being stored in Microsofts Word Documents and in order to do further work on them, I would have to subscribe to their Office Program paying an annual or monthly fee.  Who gave them permission to trap my documents in their system?

The reason I like to work with Open Office, that in the past this was not happening to everything I put on Open Office.  Why are my letters, etc. released to Microsoft?

Ken Mazikowski

Re: Trapping of documentation typed by me

Posted by Wade Smart <wa...@gmail.com>.
I do not follow Kenneth.

If you typed your docs in Word and stored them on your computer,
then just open then in OO Writer and continue on. If you saved them
in the cloud, open them in whatever you created them in, save them
specifically to your computer, then open them in Writer.

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 15:59:34 +0000
Kenneth Mazikowski <ou...@outlook.com> wrote:

> I find that recent documentation written by me is being stored in Microsofts Word Documents and in order to do further work on them, I would have to subscribe to their Office Program paying an annual or monthly fee.  Who gave them permission to trap my documents in their system?
>
> The reason I like to work with Open Office, that in the past this was not happening to everything I put on Open Office.  Why are my letters, etc. released to Microsoft?
>
> Ken Mazikowski

What is happening is that a Windows 10 update has changed the File Associations which tell Windows 10 which program to use to open the files.  Simply change the File Associations to point to OpenOffice.  As I am not au fait with Windows 10, you would be best advised to Goolge the best way to do this.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Trapping of documentation typed by me

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com.INVALID>.
At 15:59 10/10/2020 +0000, Kenneth Mazikowski wrote:
>I find that recent documentation written by me is being stored in
>Microsoft's Word Documents and in order to do further work on them,
>I would have to subscribe to their Office Program paying an annual
>or monthly fee. Who gave them permission to trap my documents in
>their system? The reason I like to work with Open Office, that in
>the past this was not happening to everything I put on Open Office.
>Why are my letters, etc. released to Microsoft?
>Sent from Mail [...] for Windows 10

The questioner has two problems here, the first of which is that his
e-mail address is expressed as
<ou...@outlook.com>. Replies sent
to that address will not reach him. See https://tinyurl.com/yyokl2me
. Since he is also not subscribed to the Users list (his query was
moderated before being released to the list) he is unlikely to see
any replies. But it is just possible that he will find replies on a
web archive and anyway the answer may be useful to others, so it is
perhaps worth expressing here.

Windows systems are frequently (normally?) supplied with a trial
version of Microsoft Office. The subsequent installation of
OpenOffice sets the associations for some file types to OpenOffice,
so that double clicking relevant document file icons outside any
application will open them by default in OpenOffice. But if the trial
version of Microsoft Office remains, updates to Windows have been
known to reset such associations back to this. (It's perhaps not
surprising that Microsoft wishes to advertise its products.) If the
trial version has now expired, double-clicking a relevant file icon
will result in a challenge to the user to purchase a licence for
Microsoft Office.

So the questioners's document files have not been "stored in"
Microsoft Word and nothing has been "released to Microsoft": they are
just where they were before. And he is not prevented from continuing
to use OpenOffice to edit them further. All he has to do is to start
OpenOffice and then use File | Open... (or the Open... button in the
start screen) to browse to and open such files. Or he could
right-click document file icons and use "Open with..." to select
OpenOffice. Alternatively he may find such documents in the Recent
Documents list.

But he will probably wish to reset relevant associations back to
OpenOffice. That can be done in either of two simple ways.
Right-click a document of an appropriate type and use "Open with..."
to select OpenOffice, but tick "Always use this app to open .xxx
files" before clicking OK. Alternatively, go to Start | Settings |
Apps | Default apps | Choose default applications by file type, and
make selections there. Note that any association needs to be reset
just once, but separately for each relevant file type.

If the questioner wishes to prevent future Windows updates repeating
the problem, he should simply remove the trial version of Microsoft
Office - using the correct procedure, of course. This would not
prevent his choosing to purchase a licence for and installing
Microsoft Office if he ever wished to do so.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker