Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com> on 2018/10/05 17:13:24 UTC

Mentors wanted for Apache Annotator (incubating)

Hi all!

We've recently had several mentors bow out of mentoring due to their other responsibilities becoming more pressing. Consequently, we're looking to add 2-3 more folks who can help us navigate the Incubator process.

http://annotator.apache.org/ has more information if you're new to the project.

Our greatest incubator related hurdle is wrangling a scattered community from across the Web into the welcoming arms of our project. :) We're building tooling around the W3C's Web Annotation specifications [1] and writing browser and server code to eventually replace much of the tooling originally provided by Annotator.js [2]. However, our goal is *not* to ship a full UX for doing annotation, but rather a set of tools to enable developers to ship annotation capabilities within their applications.

You can read more about our project on our Proposal page:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-annotator/wiki/Proposal

We hope to eventually be able to liaison with many other Apache Top-Level Projects to add annotation capabilities to their systems for machine learning, linked data, and natural language processing (search, indexing, etc).

Help wanted! :)

Much thanks!
Benjamin

[1] https://www.w3.org/annotation/
[2] http://annotatorjs.org/

--

http://bigbluehat.com/

http://linkedin.com/in/benjaminyoung

Re: Mentors wanted for Apache Annotator (incubating)

Posted by sblackmon <sb...@apache.org>.
I am willing to mentor Annotator.

sblackmon@apache.org
On October 12, 2018 at 9:44:10 AM, Benjamin Young (byoung@bigbluehat.com) wrote:

Don't everybody sign-up at once, k?! ;-P

We're a pretty easy-to-mentor project, fwiw. Two of our PPMC members are experienced committers to the Apache CouchDB project. We mostly need help with signing off on board reports, helping expand the reach and interest (within Apache mostly) of the Apache Annotator (incubating) project.

Nick has been a fabulous mentor (as were his overly-busy predecessors), but we can't run on just his singular amazingness...which is where *you* come in. :)

Please volunteer just a bit of your time to help us navigate the halls of the ASF.

Thanks!
Benjamin

--