Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2011/03/29 20:18:21 UTC

Lucene's tests

Others here might find this interesting: http://blog.mikemccandless.com/2011/03/your-test-cases-should-sometimes-fail.html

Lucene's test framework is pretty awesome.  Lots of random stuff running something like 100 times per day on Jenkins.  Not only that, but the framework is a standalone JAR.

I'm not totally sure how we could bring it in, but the principals are really interesting.  I've never seen anything like it and it has caught numerous bugs for us.

-Grant

Re: Lucene's tests

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Yeah... here at MapR, we have been doing a lot of fault injection as well.
 We don't have the community side of the fault injection, but that will
likely come.

As far as Mahout is concerned, this would help the SGD code a lot.  I don't
know how much it would help the recommendation side of the house.

One place where Mahout shines is in the Vector test cases.  This makes it
*really* easy to get a new vector datatype written and corrected.