Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Obi Van Kenobi <ge...@yahoo.com> on 2004/02/15 09:57:44 UTC

Clarification regarding Excel file format structure

Hi ,

 I am a newbie trying to understand excel file format
structure. Can anybody please clarify these questions
?

1) I read the excel documentation available in
"sc.openoffice.org". The Java BIFF viewer shows the
following structure as beginning of excel file.
However the document available in the above mentioned
site does not mention/have documentation for, the last
3 given( interfacehdr, mms and interfaceend) records .

[BOF RECORD]
[INTERFACEHDR]
[MMS]
[INTERFACEEND]

Where can I get the documentation for the last 3 given
?

2) The docs say that the structure begins with "BOF
RECORD". (0x0809). Even the results of the Java BIFF
viewer show the same. However when I open a generated
excel file in a hex editor (fhred) I see that there is
something else in the first 511 bytes. Only after this
the structure begins. What is there in the first 511
bytes ?

Thanks
Geonosian

Re: Clarification regarding Excel file format structure

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/apidocs/org/apache/poi/hssf/record/MMSRecord.h
tml
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/apidocs/org/apache/poi/hssf/record/InterfaceHd
rRecord.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/apidocs/org/apache/poi/hssf/record/InterfaceEn
dRecord.html

Its for adding and removing things to the menu.

As for the first 511 bytes, you're probably talking about the OLE 2 Compound
Document that encapsulates the BIFF file.  You'll find that fully documented
on our site.

-Andy
--
Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?

The views expressed in this email are those of the author and are almost
definitely not shared by the Apache Software Foundation, its board or its
general membership.  In fact they probably most definitively disagree with
everything espoused in the above email.