Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jeff Cauhape <jp...@detr.nv.gov> on 2019/02/02 00:02:28 UTC

[users@httpd] Stupid question time - VirtualHost

My usage of Apache has been pretty plain vanilla, and now I am required to
add a virtual host to a system, and I'm wondering what doing wrong. My hunch
is that it's obvious to others.

I am using Apache 2.4.6 as reported by httpd -v

In my httpd.conf file I have:
Listen web1e.detr.nv:80
Listen web1e.detr.nv:280
and
<VirtualHost _default_:280>
        ServerName survey.nvdetr.org
        UseCanonicalName Off
        DocumentRoot "/var/www/html/survey/"
        ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/var/www/cig-bin/survey/cgi-bin/"
</VirtualHost>

Question: Isn't it true that I must have a Listen directive for each VirtualHost?

However, if I try to start the apache server configured like this I get an error message that
the port 8090 (or any other number I choose) is already in use and not available. This causes
apache to fail to start.

# lsof -I :280

and

# netstat -ltnp

Do not show the port in use by anything. I can change the port number to anything I choose
and the results are the same. This suggests to me that the problem is in apache config somewhere.

If I comment out the Listen director for the VirtualHost, I don't get the error, but I don't see any
process listening on the port either.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Jeffrey Cauhape - IT Professional III - Linux and Solaris Administrator
Nevada Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation
(775) 684-3804 (office)     jpcauhape@detr.nv.gov<ma...@detr.nv.gov>

Re: [users@httpd] Stupid question time - VirtualHost

Posted by Daniel Ferradal <df...@apache.org>.
Maybe related to using a name instead of an ip address with Listen
directive. IMO using names with Listen directive is a terrible idea,
documentation of Listen directive specifies you should use ip address
too. Is that name correctly resolving to the specific ip address in
the system?

El mar., 5 feb. 2019 a las 17:57, Jeff Cauhape
(<jp...@detr.nv.gov>) escribió:

> Ok. I changed the port number in httpd.conf to something I know won’t work, and attempted a restart of apache.
>

> [root@web1e conf]# apachectl start
>
> Job for httpd.service failed because the control process exited with error code.                        See "systemctl status httpd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
>

> [root@web1e conf]# systemctl status httpd.service
>
> ● httpd.service - The Apache HTTP Server
>
>    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/httpd.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
>
>    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2019-02-05 08:51:13 PST; 1min 46s ago
>
>      Docs: man:httpd(8)
>
>            man:apachectl(8)
>
>   Process: 16769 ExecStop=/bin/kill -WINCH ${MAINPID} (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
>
>   Process: 13948 ExecReload=/usr/sbin/httpd $OPTIONS -k graceful (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
>
>   Process: 16768 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/httpd $OPTIONS -DFOREGROUND (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
>
> Main PID: 16768 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
>

> Feb 05 08:51:13 web1e.detr.nv systemd[1]: Starting The Apache HTTP Server...
>
> Feb 05 08:51:13 web1e.detr.nv httpd[16768]: (13)Permission denied: AH00072: make_sock: could not ...082  ß The significant error.
>

>                                        The full message is “(13) Permission denied: AH00072: make sock: could not bind to address 10.xxx.xxx.xx:1082”
>

> Feb 05 08:51:13 web1e.detr.nv httpd[16768]: no listening sockets available, shutting down
>
> Feb 05 08:51:13 web1e.detr.nv httpd[16768]: AH00015: Unable to open logs
>
> Feb 05 08:51:13 web1e.detr.nv systemd[1]: httpd.service: main process exited, code=exited, statu...LURE
>
> Feb 05 08:51:13 web1e.detr.nv kill[16769]: kill: cannot find process ""
>
> Feb 05 08:51:13 web1e.detr.nv systemd[1]: httpd.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
>
> Feb 05 08:51:13 web1e.detr.nv systemd[1]: Failed to start The Apache HTTP Server.
>
> Feb 05 08:51:13 web1e.detr.nv systemd[1]: Unit httpd.service entered failed state.
>
> Feb 05 08:51:13 web1e.detr.nv systemd[1]: httpd.service failed.
>
> Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.
>

> Jeffrey Cauhape – IT Professional III – Linux and Solaris Administrator
>
> Nevada Department of Employment, Training and Rehabilitation
>
> (775) 684-3804 (office)     jpcauhape@detr.nv.gov

Daniel Ferradal
HTTPD Project
#httpd help at Freenode

RE: [users@httpd] Stupid question time - VirtualHost

Posted by Jeff Cauhape <jp...@detr.nv.gov>.
[...]

Feb 05 08:51:13 web1e.detr.nv httpd[16768]: (13)Permission denied: AH00072: make_sock: could not ...082  <-- The significant error.

Posted by Frank Gingras <th...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luca Toscano <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jeff!