Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Colin Paul Adams <co...@colina.demon.co.uk> on 2002/10/19 13:47:46 UTC

sitemap DTD and sitebuilder

I now have a revised version of sitemap-v03.dtd (is sitemap-v03r.dtd a
suitable name?), against which all sitemap.xmap files in the src tree
validate, with two exceptions.

lint is an example of what is and isn't valid, so mustn't validate.

sitebuilder appears to generate a sitemap.xmap from a skeleton file.
The resulting file has at least two problems (maybe more, I didn't
check further).
Firstly, the skeleton (and therefore I presume the result) lists
selectors before matchers. I assume the author of sitebuilder could
easily change that.
Secondly, all elements have an id attribute. Now it seems quite
reasonable to me that all elements in a sitemap.xmap could have an
optional id attribute, and I could easily add that to the DTD. But in
that case it would only seem fair that the id attribute be declared of
type ID rather than CDATA, so that other applications could make use
of the id via IDREF type attributes. But sitebuilder uses integers for
it's id values, whereas type ID must start with an underscore or a
letter.
Could the owner of sitebuilder get in touch with me to discuss this,
so I can finish the DTD, please?
--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire

Re: sitemap DTD and sitebuilder

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Colin Paul Adams wrote:

>     David> Colin, i added your new sitemap-v04.dtd to 2.1 CVS.
>     David> When i try to use this DTD i get a stack of warnings from
>     David> my validating parser OpenSP ...  ------
>     David> onsgmls:sitemap.xmap:3:87:W: generic identifier
>     David> "cdata-section-elements" used in DTD but not defined
>     etc.
>
> Hm. onsgmls is clearly a lot more fussy than xmllint. So I tried to
> use onsgmls as well, but I cannot find how to validate a file without
> a DOCTYPE declaration (with xmllint I specify --dtdvalid
> sitemap.dtd). Is there a way, or are you adding DOCTYPE declaration to
> your sitemap.xmap files?
>
> Anyway, I'm uploading a patch to bugzilla.

I am adding an explicit DOCTYPE declaration to the
sitemap.xmap for testing purposes. There probably
is a way with onsgmls to externally declare it, but
i have not tried.

Let us discuss this issue in the other threads.
--David

Re: sitemap DTD and sitebuilder

Posted by Colin Paul Adams <co...@colina.demon.co.uk>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Colin Paul Adams wrote:

>     Vadim> PPS If it helps, attached find sitemap DTD which only
>     Vadim> purpose is to allow parsing with validation, but it does
>     Vadim> not have a purpose of validating sitemap...
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by that. In any case, it does NOT validate
> all existing sitemaps. I already have a DTD that DOES do just that,
> but I have used some of the parameter entities in your version to make
> it a bit clearer.

Colin, i added your new sitemap-v04.dtd to 2.1 CVS.

When i try to use this DTD i get a stack of warnings
from my validating parser OpenSP ...
------
onsgmls:sitemap.xmap:3:87:W: generic identifier "cdata-section-elements" used in DTD but not defined
onsgmls:sitemap.xmap:3:87:W: generic identifier "include-name" used in DTD but not defined
onsgmls:sitemap.xmap:3:87:W: generic identifier "method" used in DTD but not defined
onsgmls:sitemap.xmap:3:87:W: generic identifier "use-cookies" used in DTD but not defined
onsgmls:sitemap.xmap:3:87:W: generic identifier "untranslated-text" used in DTD but not defined
onsgmls:sitemap.xmap:3:87:W: generic identifier "media-type" used in DTD but not defined
onsgmls:sitemap.xmap:3:87:W: generic identifier "version" used in DTD but not defined
onsgmls:sitemap.xmap:3:87:W: generic identifier "transformerFactory" used in DTD but not defined
onsgmls:sitemap.xmap:3:87:W: generic identifier "transformer-factory" used in DTD but not defined
onsgmls:sitemap.xmap:3:87:W: generic identifier "exclude-name" used in DTD but not defined
onsgmls:sitemap.xmap:3:87:W: generic identifier "use-session-info" used in DTD but not defined
onsgmls:sitemap.xmap:3:87:W: generic identifier "incremental-processing" used in DTD but not defined
onsgmls:sitemap.xmap:3:87:W: generic identifier "throe-exception" used in DTD but not defined
onsgmls:sitemap.xmap:3:87:W: generic identifier "indent" used in DTD but not defined
onsgmls:sitemap.xmap:3:87:W: generic identifier "set-content-length" used in DTD but not defined
onsgmls:sitemap.xmap:3:87:W: generic identifier "standalone" used in DTD but not defined
------

Re: sitemap DTD and sitebuilder

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Colin Paul Adams wrote:

>    Vadim> PPS If it helps, attached find sitemap DTD which only
>    Vadim> purpose is to allow parsing with validation, but it does
>    Vadim> not have a purpose of validating sitemap...
>
>I'm not sure what you mean by that.

I made it some time ago to be able to run Cocoon with validate="true",
but not for the purpose of validating sitemap files. Is it clearer now? :)

> In any case, it does NOT validate
>all existing sitemaps. I already have a DTD that DOES do just that,
>but I have used some of the parameter entities in your version to make
>it a bit clearer.

Ok. Glad it had helped.

Vadim

Re: sitemap DTD and sitebuilder

Posted by Colin Paul Adams <co...@colina.demon.co.uk>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Colin Paul Adams wrote:

>    Vadim> Please mind that all invalid parts in lint are commented
>    Vadim> out. The rest is valid sitemap (which, btw, works).
>
>OK - lint sitemap now validates except for unknown-tag. In order for
>that to validate, I have to add a line:
>
><!ELEMENT unknown-tag EMPTY>
>
>or some such to the dtd. Is this reasonable?

AFAIU, it is not possible to create DTD for the sitemap language exactly
because some components allow any element name (for example, see
RequestParameterExistsAction, and don't mind javadoc: it's not
completely correct); the only possibility is to create DTD for all
existing sitemap files.

If you are after second, then yes, it is reasonable.

PS Last thing which does not allow to run Cocoon in validating mode are
XSLT files without DTD - and here universal DTD is also not possible to
create.

PPS If it helps, attached find sitemap DTD which only purpose is to
allow parsing with validation, but it does not have a purpose of
validating sitemap... Hope it's clear.

Vadim

Re: sitemap DTD and sitebuilder

Posted by Colin Paul Adams <co...@colina.demon.co.uk>.

Posted by Colin Paul Adams <co...@colina.demon.co.uk>.

    Vadim> Please mind that all invalid parts in lint are commented
    Vadim> out. The rest is valid sitemap (which, btw, works).
Ah. I didn't notice. I'll have another go at it then.

    >> therefore I presume the result) lists selectors before
    >> matchers. I assume the author of sitebuilder could easily
    >> change that.
    >>
    Vadim> This can be changed, no problem with it.
That I suspected. The id thing needs to be sorted though. Could all
the id values simply be prefixed with an underscore? I assume code
needs changing.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Colin Paul Adams wrote:

>I now have a revised version of sitemap-v03.dtd (is sitemap-v03r.dtd a
>suitable name?), against which all sitemap.xmap files in the src tree
>validate, with two exceptions.
>
>lint is an example of what is and isn't valid, so mustn't validate.

Please mind that all invalid parts in lint are commented out. The rest

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> I now have a revised version of sitemap-v03.dtd (is sitemap-v03r.dtd a
> suitable name?), against which all sitemap.xmap files in the src tree
> validate, with two exceptions.

Please just send a patch against the current sitemap-v03.dtd
rather than create another new file. After the DTD is finalised
then we will need to use incremental version numbers. As it
is not in production yet, we should just patch the current draft.

> lint is an example of what is and isn't valid, so mustn't validate.
>
> sitebuilder appears to generate a sitemap.xmap from a skeleton file.
> The resulting file has at least two problems (maybe more, I didn't
> check further).
> Firstly, the skeleton (and therefore I presume the result) lists
> selectors before matchers. I assume the author of sitebuilder could
> easily change that.
> Secondly, all elements have an id attribute. Now it seems quite
> reasonable to me that all elements in a sitemap.xmap could have an
> optional id attribute, and I could easily add that to the DTD. But in
> that case it would only seem fair that the id attribute be declared of
> type ID rather than CDATA, so that other applications could make use
> of the id via IDREF type attributes. But sitebuilder uses integers for
> it's id values, whereas type ID must start with an underscore or a
> letter.
> Could the owner of sitebuilder get in touch with me to discuss this,
> so I can finish the DTD, please?

I scoured the mail archive to find out the history of
sitebuilder. It seems that no development has occurred
with it since it was contributed. Recently it was moved
into scratchpad. So we should not wait on the author.

You should just finalise the DTD as you see fit. Then
we can massage the "sitebuilder" webapp later to match.

2001-08-21 - sitebuilder contributed to Cocoon
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=99839827510636

2002-01-17 - moved to scratchpad
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=101122677802066

2002-04-10 - [vote] Development Roadmap
... mention about inertia with sitebuilder
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=101844357806580
... fear about various things fossilising in scratchpad
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=101844928712788

2002-08-21 - scratchpad got their own /samples/
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=102991731530324