Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Alexey Kuznetsov <ak...@apache.org> on 2017/08/16 09:38:27 UTC

Policy for update third-party dependencies

Hi, All!

Do we have any policy for updating third-party dependencies?

For example, I found that we are using very old  Apache Common codec v.1.6
(released in 2011)
And latest is Apache Common codec v.1.10

Do we need to update to new versions from time to time?
And how?

Just create JIRA issue, update pom.xml and run all tests on TC - will be
enough?

--
Alexey Kuznetsov

Re: Policy for update third-party dependencies

Posted by Alexey Kuznetsov <ak...@apache.org>.
Denis,

> I would respond why do we need to update? Some bug, new capabilities,
> security breach? Alexey K., please shed some light on this.

There is no special purpose, I just accidentally found that we are using
very old dependency.

It is common practice (especially in web development (as example))  update
dependencies from time to time.

I think if users will use in their projects commons-codec + ignite it may
lead to jar conflicts at some point (user will use latest common-codecs and
in ignite we use old one).

Make sense?

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Pordash <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Val,

Pretty much, with obvious exceptions being integration modules with other
projects. If the dependency is well isolated, then shading could be
beneficial.

I've also had to do this for client libraries operating inside other
frameworks (I've had to shade netty to avoid conflicting with user code).
It's a good alternative since relying on things like OSGi isn't all that
practical due to lack of widespread adoption.

-Nick

Posted by Valentin Kulichenko <va...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nick,

Posted by Nick Pordash <ni...@gmail.com>.