Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net> on 2006/06/01 14:08:20 UTC

Re: question about the C test framework

On 5/30/06, Madan U Sreenivasan <ma...@collab.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 May 2006 20:39:50 +0530, Malcolm Rowe
> <ma...@farside.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 08:19:01PM +0530, Madan U Sreenivasan wrote:
> >> I guess I have to remove the 'lt-' that comes at the beginning of
> >> argv[0],
> >> and I can safely assume that all tests will have a generated lt-script,
> >> whose name would be present in argv[0].
> >>

> > No.  If you compile with --disable-shared, libtool doesn't create
> > wrappers.
> >
> > You still haven't explained why you think this is a problem.
>
> Its not a problem. It just puts a few hurdles in trying to print the
> script name in the help message. I wanted to use argv[0], which gives
> 'lt-' prepended to the script name.

Honestly, I'm not sure it's something you need to worry about, but if
it really bothers you that much, just checking for lt- at the
beginning and incrementing the pointer past those characters seems
like a somewhat reasonable work around....

-garrett

Re: question about the C test framework

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 6/3/06, Madan U Sreenivasan <ma...@collab.net> wrote:

> > Honestly, I'm not sure it's something you need to worry about, but if
> > it really bothers you that much,
>
> Actually, looking at the usage message for lt-scriptname when the user
> said 'scriptname --help' is not a good thing.

Sure, but you're talking about a program that's only used by
developers, maybe 50 people will run '--help' on it in its entire
lifetime, most of whom will probably know a bit about libtool, and if
they don't, well, maybe that will get them to learn ;-)

-garrett

Re: question about the C test framework

Posted by Madan U Sreenivasan <ma...@collab.net>.
On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 19:38:20 +0530, Garrett Rooney
<ro...@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:

> On 5/30/06, Madan U Sreenivasan <ma...@collab.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 May 2006 20:39:50 +0530, Malcolm Rowe
>> <ma...@farside.org.uk> wrote:

>> lt-script,
>> >>

>> > No.  If you compile with --disable-shared, libtool doesn't create
>> > wrappers.
>> >
>> > You still haven't explained why you think this is a problem.
>>
>> Its not a problem. It just puts a few hurdles in trying to print the
>> script name in the help message. I wanted to use argv[0], which gives
>> 'lt-' prepended to the script name.
>
> Honestly, I'm not sure it's something you need to worry about, but if
> it really bothers you that much,

Actually, looking at the usage message for lt-scriptname when the user
said 'scriptname --help' is not a good thing.

> just checking for lt- at the
> beginning and incrementing the pointer past those characters seems
> like a somewhat reasonable work around....

yeah, that would be the way around. Thank you.

Regards,
Madan.