Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2007/03/27 06:16:48 UTC

[Vote] Release Plan for Forrest 0.80

If people have concerns about the dates then please speak up
otherwise please vote on this Release Plan.

One reason for doing a vote is to ensure that it is the
PMC as a whole that prepares and issues the release, rather
than an individual. Such procedures give us the protection
accorded by the ASF being a corporation.

Another reason is to draw attention to it and get as
many people involved as possible, including developers.

According to our guidelines,
http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#actions
"A lazy majority vote requires
3 binding +1 votes and more binding +1 votes than -1 votes".

As usual anyone is encouraged to vote, just the votes
of PMC members are binding.

According to the plan below:
[1] end of vote on Release Plan
Monday 2007-04-01 at 22:00 UTC
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=02&month=04&year=2007&p1=136&p2=48&p3=176&p4=240&p5=224&p6=213

-David

Re: [Vote] Release Plan for Forrest 0.80

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
The vote period is finished.

There were 7 votes, all were +1.

No developers voted, only PMC members.

The Release Plan is accepted.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> If people have concerns about the dates then please speak up
> otherwise please vote on this Release Plan.

+1 from me.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 11:10 +0100, Ross Gardler wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Another reason is to draw attention to it and get as
> > many people involved as possible, including developers.
>
> +1 with the correction David made later in this thread.

+1

salu2
Open Source Java & XML                consulting, training and solutions

Re: [Vote] Release Plan for Forrest 0.80

Posted by Cyriaque Dupoirieux <Cy...@pcotech.fr>.
+1,
(I am sure more versions will bring us more users and devs...)

Salutations,
Cyriaque,

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sjur Moshagen <sj...@mac.com>.
Den 2. apr. 2007 kl. 11.03 skrev David Crossley:

> The vote period for this Release Plan closes in 14 hours from now.

+1

It is great work you all are doing! I'm sorry I haven't had any time
to contribute to the 0.8 release, and my schedule for the following
two weeks is also very tight:(

Best,
Sjur

Re: [Vote] Release Plan for Forrest 0.80

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
The vote period for this Release Plan closes in 14 hours from now.

[1] end of vote on Release Plan
Monday 2007-04-02 at 22:00 UTC
http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?month=4&day=2&year=2007&hour=22&min=&sec=&p0=0

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Gav.... wrote:
> From: Ross Gardler
> > Gav.... wrote:
> > >
> > > The above was first posted Sunday, now the vote, was this enough time
> > > to discuss things (is this the norm)? - I got here after 0.7 release.
> >
> > Generally we try to allow at least 72 hours. However, if you have a
> > problem it can be raised during the vote.
> >
> > Remember this release process is not new (it is to you, but not to
> > Forrest). Therefore, there should not be a need for much discussion
> > other than the dates.
> >
> > The vote is only to ensure that the release will have the backing of the
> > PMC which is a requirement. Without sufficient positive and no negative
> > votes from the PMC the release cannot be made.
> >
> > All that being said, if there is an issue, it should be raised whether
> > you are a PMC member or not.
>
> No, there are no issues as far as I am concerned, just surprised to see
> this vote thread so early on, but then I should have worked backwards
> 1 week from end of voting date mentioned to realise it would start now!

The timing was an unfortunate set of circumstances, sorry.
I meant to explain it.

Usually proposals are left to run until the discussion
is finished. At that time there is often an obvious solution
and voting is not required.

For the Release Plan and Release we must vote, as i explained.
According to our Guidelines, we allow a full week for votes
not just 72 hours.

Now to the timing ...

The release had to happen prior to ApacheCon Europe in early May
and i heard on this list that some people (and also me) are busy
around end of April. So come back one week or so to give space.
Need to allow time for the process to go wrong and need a third
release candidate.

So working backwards and allowing the space for each phase,
it was very tight. The release plan proposal had to go out
immediately and even so there wasn't a full week for the vote.
So i gave people a few days and there was zero discussion,
so i got on with the vote.

As Ross says, people can still raise issues during the vote
period. Normally the proposal phase would air issues.
People can also change their vote before the closing date.
http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#procedure

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Gav.... wrote:
> From: Ross Gardler wrote:
> > Gav.... wrote:
> > >
> > > I was going to offer to assist, but waited the two days to see if anyone
> > > else wanted to jump in first, if this is too late now or if you prefer
> > > I'll help on 0.9 instead.
> >
> > Never wait for others! Jump in and offer your help, we will all be glad
> > of it!
>
> Thanks I know now, and am annoyed with myself now for not acting sooner to
> help, I thought I had more time and did not want to jump in too soon (too
> eager etc..).

Thanks. I would rather do the release building alone
as i don't have time to explain to people. Perhaps next time.

However you can still follow along via
http://forrest.apache.org/procedures/release/How_to_release.html
and the mailing list. This will get you familiar with the
procedure.

There is still plenty that committers and developers can
do to help with the release.

> > > I see the note about building a Windows release is gone, are you happy
> > > that your changes will be good, I will do one if necessary.

As i indicated in the comments elsewhere in this thread,
i reckon it will be okay. Also it is better that the designated
Release Manager (me this time) prepares the packages. See the
reason explained at the beginning of the vote thread.

> > The windows release will still need to be tested so there is plenty of
> > scope there.
>
> Yep, no problem there thanks, I will likely test in java 1.4 and 1.5 to be
> sure both work too, I've been on 1.5 for so long now.

Thanks i just clarified in "How to release Forrest"
the testing notes to ask people to test on different
Java versions.
localhost:8888/procedures/release/How_to_release.html#vote

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.

Gav...

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Gav.... wrote:

> [...]

You are correct. According to [1] a release plan and a release are "Lazy
majority" votes, which is defined as "A lazy majority vote requires 3
binding +1 votes and more binding +1 votes than -1 votes."

Thanks for the clarification.

Ross

[1] http://forrest.apache.org/guidelines.html#approvals

RE: [Vote] Release Plan for Forrest 0.80

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.

Time schedule is ok with me.

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.
+1

Looking forward to it.

Gav...

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=16&month=04&year=2007&p1=136&p2=48&p3=176&p4=240&p5=224&p6=213

Re: Proposed Java version 1.4 and FOR-765

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>
> Thanks for following up. This is something that
> we need to decide as part of the Release Plan.
> I see that people are already saying yes.
>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FOR-765
>  "forrest war and classpath issues with Jetty"
>
>> It seems if we make it 1.5 we could close above issue as won't fix.
>>
>> Why want we 1.4?

Because there are still a very large number of organisations that use 1.4

> My view is that we need more investigation of FOR-765.
> We need more people to test with different versions of
> Jetty/Apache Tomcat and Java 1.4 version.
> So far only me and i might have a bad Jetty config.
>
> I reckon that we should stick with Java 1.4 unless
> we really need to use specific features of Java 5.
> No need to just cut off part of our audience.

+1

I think this is one that we should all try and fix. U'll try and find
some time today to look at it.

Ross

RE: Proposed Java version 1.4 and FOR-765

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 17:11 +0800, Gav.... wrote:

> I came to the conclusion that we should stick to 1.4 as a minimum
> recommended version for this release and with me having no
> other issues gave my +1.
>
> If it turns out that Issue FOR-765 really does need Jave 1.5 then
> we need to consider making 1.5 the minimum recommended version -
> as I can't see 1.5 introducing any problems, or we delay FOR-765
> until 0.9 where we can see if we can make it run on 1.4 or then
> upgrade to 1.5

I agree that the issue should not be a blocker. I reckon we can add a
note in the release that people reported issues with 1.4 and jetty 6
standalone.

salu2

RE: Proposed Java version 1.4 and FOR-765

Posted by "Gav...." <br...@brightontown.com.au>.

I initially thought as Thorsten did and like 0.7 was made java 1.4
minimum, we could make 0.8 a minimum of java 1.5. I know it worked
well when I used 1.4, and later on last year I upgraded to java 1.5
and noticed no difference - except the issue we are now facing with
FOR-765, to be honest I can not remember having any problems with
Tomcat then, I don't think I had Jetty installed at the time.

Some people may have a reliance as you say on needing 1.4 for other
applications -- it was a right PITA for me to upgrade my online
BAS reporting to 1.5 for instance.

For Windows and I'm sure for linux too, you can run different Java
versions side by side, for Forrest I assume it is just a matter of
pointing it to the appropriate version and making sure that both
versions are included in the Path file, and change the JAVA_HOME
variable in the Environment. A script can even be run, to set it
and then unset it again.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.