Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Vahid S Hashemian <va...@us.ibm.com> on 2016/07/26 00:20:03 UTC

Potential Change in Kafka's Partition Assignment Semantics when Subscription Changes

Hello,

We have started a KIP under the Kafka project that proposes a fix for an
inconsistency in how partition assignments are currently handled in Kafka
when the consumer changes subscription. Note that this applies to new
consumer only.
The KIP can be found here:

The compatibility section (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-70%3A+Revise+Partition+Assignment+Semantics+on+New+Consumer%27s+Subscription+Change#KIP-70:RevisePartitionAssignmentSemanticsonNewConsumer'sSubscriptionChange-Compatibility,Deprecation,andMigrationPlan
) describes impacted users.

We would like to know if any Apache Storm user would be affected by this
change. Thanks.

Regards,
--Vahid

Re: Potential Change in Kafka's Partition Assignment Semantics when Subscription Changes

Posted by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org>.
This seems really low risk to me.  In order to be impacted, it'd have
to be someone who was using the kafka integration in spark 2.0, which
isn't even officially released yet.

Posted by Cody Koeninger <co...@koeninger.org>.

Posted by Vahid S Hashemian <va...@us.ibm.com>.