Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com> on 2013/10/01 23:59:53 UTC

Hypervisor Questions

Hi,

I was wondering if people could clarify for me what CloudStack manages
versus what the hypervisor manages in terms of live migration, high
availability, and distributed resource scheduling?

I know it is probably different for XenServer, VMware, and KVM.

Can people fill in the info below (managed by the management server, the
hypervisor, or some combination of both)?

XenServer
   Live migration:
   High availability:
   Distributed Resource Scheduling:

XenServer
   Live migration:
   High availability:
   Distributed Resource Scheduling:

XenServer
   Live migration:
   High availability:
   Distributed Resource Scheduling:

Thanks!

--
*Mike Tutkowski*
e: mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com

Re: Hypervisor Questions

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
OK, so, I've collected a bunch of info with regards to how CS handles HA,
DRS, FT, and LV.

Can people confirm or deny this information:

CloudStack 4.2:

XenServer:

  HA: Request made by CloudStack (handled by hypervisor). No
prioritization*.

  FT: No such feature (warm secondary VM...HA with essentially no downtime).

  DRS: Handled by CloudStack (only when initially deploying a VM).

  LM**: Only within a XenServer Resource Pool.

VMware:

  HA: Request made by CloudStack (handled by hypervisor). No
prioritization*.

  FT: No support for VMware Fault Tolerance feature (warm secondary VM...HA
with essentially no downtime).

  DRS: Handled by CloudStack (only when initially deploying a VM).

  LM**: Can be across VMware Clusters (within same CS Pod).

KVM:

  HA: Request made by CloudStack (handled by hypervisor). No
prioritization*.

  FT: No such feature (warm secondary VM...HA with essentially no downtime).

  DRS: Handled by CloudStack (only when initially deploying a VM).

  LM**: Only within a CS KVM Cluster.

* There is no way in CloudStack to specify one VM should be started over
another if there is an insufficient number of resources remaining in the
cluster to start all VMs that were running on a failed host.

** LM = Live Migration

On the topic of HA, will CloudStack ever restart a VM on a host in a
different cluster from the one the VMs were running on when that host went
offline?

Thanks!

Re: Hypervisor Questions

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

Re: Hypervisor Questions

Posted by Marcus Sorensen <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hypervisor Questions

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.
Perhaps Marcus can answer this from a KVM standpoint?

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 5:03 PM, Mike Tutkowski <mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com

Re: Hypervisor Questions

Posted by Mike Tutkowski <mi...@solidfire.com>.

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Mike Tutkowski <mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com