Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2018/02/16 15:45:05 UTC

[SCR] Dropping the proprietary extensions for the R7 implementation

I would like to simplify the upcoming R7 implementation of Declarative
Services and drop the support for the proprietary extensions.

Currently the implementation supports two additional namespaces for the
component XML. The oldest one allows to define an updated method before
it became part of the R4.2 release. So this has only been used
temporarily until that release became official.

Similar, there is a special namespace for the R4.3 release which can be
used to indicate that the components might return additional service
properties from the activate method. This feature has been discussed at
that time in the OSGi expert group and was not rejected. While there
might be some people using this, this is tied to the 4.3 specification.
So as soon as you want to use R5 or R6 features or in the future R7
features, this proprietary extension is not available to your component.

My suggestion is we drop these things for the R7 version and simplify
the implementation in some areas. If users want to use those features
the R6 implementation is still there to be used and we can maintain it.

Regards
Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
Adobe Research Switzerland

Re: [SCR] Dropping the proprietary extensions for the R7 implementation

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Actually I was wrong with the below statement. There are the Felix
proprietary namespaces in addition with extensions you can use as
attributes in the component XML. So these extensions work with any
namespace. That somehow voids my argumentation. :(

So let's keep the stuff in

Carsten

Carsten Ziegeler wrote

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.