Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2002/07/26 20:05:20 UTC

Do we have selectors that can choose a stylesheet based on DTD?

In Avalon land, I am trying to standardize on one documentation style
for
the whole site.  So far we have come a long way.  Unfortunately, some of
the developers have grown quite dissalusioned with Cocoon for doc
generation.
As a result, some of the sub-projects are generated using Anakia.

The grievances are really pretty much the same:

1) Too much verbosity (that's why we have taken strides to remove
verbosity)
2) Too slow (although it is within acceptable ranges)
3) It takes too many resources--this has pretty much been addressed
   satisfactorily
3) No ANT integration (something we should probably look into)
4) Not easy to just plug and play.

The last one is the point that I am trying to remedy.  I want to make
the docs render the same whether they are done with Anakia or with
Cocoon.  IOW, if the docs are layed out in a certain way:

xdocs/
  menu.xml (in Anakia's project.xml format)
  index.xml

Then we should be able to generate the site with either tool.
As a short stop gap, it would be really nice to be able to determine
which stylesheet I need to use by detecting the DOCTYPE of the
source document.  I really only want the DOCTYPE of what comes from
the Generator.

This feature will also help with componentizing Cocoon with app
components.  The parent site will be able to render everything as
expected just as long as it knows what is coming out of a component...

 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                - Benjamin Franklin

Re: Do we have selectors that can choose a stylesheet based on DTD?

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

well..:http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=102770085224773&w=2

> Then we should be able to generate the site with either tool.
> As a short stop gap, it would be really nice to be able to determine
> which stylesheet I need to use by detecting the DOCTYPE of the
> source document.  I really only want the DOCTYPE of what comes from
> the Generator.

join in the fun: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=102767485200006&r=1&w=2

quite a coincidence :-)

</Steven>