Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Tobias Bocanegra <to...@day.com> on 2006/10/17 15:36:05 UTC

refactoring the persistence managers

hi,
currently the persistence managers reside in:
  org.apache.jackrabbit.core.state
  org.apache.jackrabbit.core.state.db
  org.apache.jackrabbit.core.state.mem
  org.apache.jackrabbit.core.state.obj
  org.apache.jackrabbit.core.state.xml
  (org.apache.jackrabbit.core.state.util)

there are also a lot of other classes that deal with states (eg:
SharedItemStateManager) in the state package that do not relate to
pms.

i would like to move all persistencemanagers and pm related stuff to:

  org.apache.jackrabbit.core.persistence

and drop the 'db', 'mem', 'obj', 'xml' sub-packages.

because the configurations in the workspaces use fully qualified class
names, i would put legacy classes in the old places that extend the
new ones and put them into some sort of compat.jar. or we could
introduce a more general class-mapping in the configuration that mapps
FQN to classes (which i prefer).

opinions?

btw: as soon there is more response/consensus on this issue, i will
create a proper jira issue and suggest a patch.

regards, toby
T +41 61 226 98 98, F +41 61 226 98 97

Re: refactoring the persistence managers

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 10/17/06, Tobias Bocanegra <to...@day.com> wrote:
> i would like to move all persistencemanagers and pm related stuff to:
>
>   org.apache.jackrabbit.core.persistence
>
> and drop the 'db', 'mem', 'obj', 'xml' sub-packages.

+1, sounds good.

> because the configurations in the workspaces use fully qualified class
> names, i would put legacy classes in the old places that extend the
> new ones and put them into some sort of compat.jar. or we could
> introduce a more general class-mapping in the configuration that mapps
> FQN to classes (which i prefer).

I'd keep the current classes as deprecated subclasses within
jackrabbit-core.jar until Jackrabbit 2.0. There may (?) be people who
are extending the existing classes, so I'd avoid breaking binary
compatibility there even though we've never promised to actually honor
compatiblity within o.a.j.core.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: refactoring the persistence managers

Posted by Jean-Michel Pittet <jm...@day.com>.
what is the impact of for the existing connectors? WIll it impact
configuration i.e. moving from current to your proposed model in an
upgrade?

Cheers
JM

On 10/17/06, Tobias Bocanegra <to...@day.com> wrote:
> hi,
> currently the persistence managers reside in:
>  org.apache.jackrabbit.core.state
>  org.apache.jackrabbit.core.state.db
>  org.apache.jackrabbit.core.state.mem
>  org.apache.jackrabbit.core.state.obj
>  org.apache.jackrabbit.core.state.xml
>  (org.apache.jackrabbit.core.state.util)
>
> there are also a lot of other classes that deal with states (eg:
> SharedItemStateManager) in the state package that do not relate to
> pms.
>
> i would like to move all persistencemanagers and pm related stuff to:
>
>  org.apache.jackrabbit.core.persistence
>
> and drop the 'db', 'mem', 'obj', 'xml' sub-packages.
>
> because the configurations in the workspaces use fully qualified class
> names, i would put legacy classes in the old places that extend the
> new ones and put them into some sort of compat.jar. or we could
> introduce a more general class-mapping in the configuration that mapps
> FQN to classes (which i prefer).
>
> opinions?
>
> btw: as soon there is more response/consensus on this issue, i will
> create a proper jira issue and suggest a patch.
>
> regards, toby
> T +41 61 226 98 98, F +41 61 226 98 97

Cheers
Jean-Michel

standardize your content-repository !          http://jcr.day.com

Jean-Michel Pittet - Senior Vice President of Engineering
Day, +41 61 226 98 98,  PF, CH-4001 Basel