Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Lukas Vlcek <lu...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/16 22:47:46 UTC

Re: Mahout logo proposal (second refactoring)

Hi,

http://picasaweb.google.com/lukas.vlcek/Mahout/photo#5178454146860270354
is a Mahout logo proposal which I consider near-final version (#2.5)
I would like to hear your comments. I think was able to accomodate most of
your comments - the figure of Mahout is bigger and is not that abstract and
I put the beach balloon back. Also I was experimenting with mexican hat as
well but I didn't like the result so it didn't make it into final proposal.

As for the MAHOUT type it is regular font called Impact (only in 80% of its
original height). This can be changed but I think that this kind of font
fits the logo very well. I think the font in previous version (proposal #2)
was Arial Black which look good as well. I already do have everything in
vectors (svg).

Regards,
Lukas

--
http://blog.lukas-vlcek.com/

Re: Mahout logo proposal (second refactoring)

Posted by Lukas Vlcek <lu...@gmail.com>.
Jeff,

I like the discussion. The idea with Rubik's Cube sounds interesting! (It is
interesting to see what some people can do - like solving it with their eyes
closed<http://www.strangepuzzle.com/download.php?videoName=3x3x3-BLD%20MarcusStuhr%2077.61.wmv>...
I will try to draw with my eyes closed :-)

Lukas

--
http://blog.lukas-vlcek.com/

Re: Mahout logo proposal (second refactoring)

Posted by Isabel Drost <ap...@isabel-drost.de>.
On Monday 17 March 2008, Jeff Eastman wrote:
> Lukas Vlcek wrote:
> > http://picasaweb.google.com/lukas.vlcek/Mahout/photo#5178454146860270354
> > is a Mahout logo proposal which I consider near-final version (#2.5)

I really like the logo - it looks happier and more playful than the previous
version :)

> I agree that the sombrero idea was be a bit over the top and certainly a
> mixed metaphor. I think you are improving with this one. If the elephant
> were working with a Rubix Cube instead of a beach ball it might be more
> like the problems we actually face.

I am not sure whether the Rubik Cube would be a little too much...

Isabel

--
Expect a letter from a friend who will ask a favor of you.
  |\      _,,,---,,_       Web:   <http://www.isabel-drost.de>
'---''(_/--'  `-'\_) (fL)  IM:  <xm...@spaceboyz.net>

RE: Mahout logo proposal (second refactoring)

Posted by Jeff Eastman <je...@windwardsolutions.com>.

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.
Good points, Andrzej.

> * it should be meaningful and acceptable for the target audience, or
> abstract enough that it doesn't matter. I'm not sure how the IBM-type
> suits would react to the beach-ball if it were to appear in the
> documentation of their product ;)

Oh, the collar worker developers/ consultants wouldn't mind. The lawyers would ;)

D.

RE: Mahout logo proposal (second refactoring)

Posted by Jeff Eastman <je...@windwardsolutions.com>.
+1

Very important to have some decision criteria when choosing among
alternatives

Jeff

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.