Posted to user@ctakes.apache.org by "Bohne, Jacqueline R" <bo...@mcrf.mfldclin.edu> on 2013/08/06 17:47:27 UTC

Extracting Symptoms

We are trying to create a cTAKES process that will extract all symptoms from our documents.  In our first attempt, we used the UMLS dictionary and pulled anything with a TUI of T184 (Sign or Symptom).  While this worked, we found that when we compared it to what our Research Coordinators manually abstracted as symptoms, there were quite a few differences.  When we looked into these differences we found a lot of the extra terms were considered either Findings (T033) or Disease or Syndrome (T047) in UMLS.  We would rather not just add these TUIs to our NLP process because then we would end up with many more terms than just symptoms in our results.

Has anyone else tried to create a database of symptoms using NLP?  Or are you aware of a better solution for creating a symptoms database?

Thank you for your time!

Thanks,
Jacquie Bohne
Research Programmer/Analyst
Marshfield Clinic

The contents of this message may contain private, protected and/or privileged information.  If you received this message in error, you should destroy the e-mail message and any attachments or copies, and you are prohibited from retaining, distributing, disclosing or using any information contained within.  Please contact the sender and advise of the erroneous delivery by return e-mail or telephone.  Thank you for your cooperation.

RE: Extracting Symptoms

Posted by "Savova, Guergana" <Gu...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Pruning by the UMLS semantic type is a very good idea. In some of our studies we have found that the semantic type of Finding is quite noisy and we have discarded it (this should be very easy to do in cTAKES).

The UMLS semantic types that define UMLS semantic groups such as Disorders are in Table 1 of this manuscript: http://semanticnetwork.nlm.nih.gov/SemGroups/Papers/2003-medinfo-atm.pdf. You can use that table as a rough guide to which semantic types to include in your study. Anyway, the modification to cTAKES is really minimal (you have to specify the sem types in an XML file).

Hope this helps!
--Guergana

Posted by Tim Miller <ti...@childrens.harvard.edu>.