Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by an...@wellsfargo.com on 2006/07/19 20:47:22 UTC

Axis client and .NET Web Service using NTLM security

Hi,
I have spent about a week researching this and google just isn't getting
me a viable working solution.  Please advise if possible.

I am using Axis code which I generated using wsdl2java.  I need to
communicate with a .NET web service that uses the ntlm authentication
scheme.  I do not want to go the client-config.wsdd route.  I would
rather specify that I want to use the CommonsHTTPSender class
programatically.

In my generated axis stub (and I wish I didn't have to modify a stub..)
I have added the following lines of code to the createCall() method (it
is surrounded by comments):

<CODE>
protected org.apache.axis.client.Call createCall() throws
java.rmi.RemoteException {
   try {
       org.apache.axis.client.Call _call = (org.apache.axis.client.Call)
super.service.createCall();

       // Use HttpClient for ntlm. - start
       org.apache.axis.transport.http.CommonsHTTPSender
reqConnectionHandler = new
org.apache.axis.transport.http.CommonsHTTPSender();
       org.apache.axis.transport.http.CommonsHTTPSender
respConnectionHandler = new
org.apache.axis.transport.http.CommonsHTTPSender();

_call.setClientHandlers(reqConnectionHandler,respConnectionHandler);

       super.setUsername("QA-DOMAIN\\andyh");
       super.setPassword("VikesDominatePackers");
       // Use HttpClient for ntlm. - end

       if (super.maintainSessionSet) {
           _call.setMaintainSession(super.maintainSession);
       }

</CODE>

The resulting POST from TCPMON is this:

POST /imgservice.asmx HTTP/1.1

<soapenv:Envelope

This is the resulting error from my java console:

- Unable to find required classes (javax.activation.DataHandler and
javax.mail.internet.MimeMultipart). Attachment support is disabled.
- ntlm authentication scheme selected
- Failure authenticating with NTLM <any realm>@localhost:9001
- Error in ezimg service.  AxisFault caught.  MessageId: null
AxisFault
 faultCode: {http://xml.apache.org/axis/}HTTP
 faultSubcode:
 faultString: (401)Unauthorized
 faultActor:
 faultNode:
 faultDetail:
	{}:return code:  401

So it appears NTLM is being used because of the second line output
above, however the TCPMON output states that BASIC authentication is
being used.  I am very confused by this.  Thanks for helping!!!!
Andy

Andrew Hahn
HCFTG - Sales Technology Group
Technology Information Group

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  If
you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on
this message or any information herein.  If you have received this
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.

Re: Axis client and .NET Web Service using NTLM security

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Yes Simon-

Yes Zhao Sharon reported the bug
http://www.mail-archive.com/axis-user@xml.apache.org/msg18632.html
Brian Russell sunmitted a patch for CommonsHTTPSender.java
a.. You need to modify the org/apache/axis/client/client-config.wsdd. Change the line
  <transport name="http" pivot="java:org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender"/> to
  <transport name="http" pivot="java:org.apache.axis.transport.http.CommonsHTTPSender"/>
  You can create a new copy of the wsdd file, and put it in the classpath before the axis.jar(preferred), or replace the copy in the axis.jar.
a.. I found that I also had to make a couple of changes to the CommonsHTTPSender.java, and rebuild the source to get NTLM authentication to work.

  After line 131 (getHostConfiguration()), you need to set the configuration into the httpClient. Add the line

  httpClient.setHostConfiguration(hostConfiguration);

  After line 282 (setProxyCredentials()), I have added the following
  } else {
      // Default to an NTLM credentials.
      Credentials proxyCred =
         new NTCredentials("username","password","","domain");
         client.getState().setProxyCredentials(null,proxyCred);

But if you look at the 1.4 distro You can pickup the NTCredentials by calling the getHostConfiguration method more specifically..

    protected HostConfiguration getHostConfiguration(HttpClient client,
                                                     MessageContext context,
                                                     URL targetURL) {
        TransportClientProperties tcp =
            TransportClientPropertiesFactory.create(targetURL.getProtocol()); // http or https
                            proxyCred = new NTCredentials(user,
                                            tcp.getProxyPassword(),
                                            tcp.getProxyHost(), domain);

Did he try 1.4 ???