Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Simon <ma...@sohowit.com> on 2002/02/21 23:31:07 UTC

Java servlet and mailing

Dear,

I come from PHP world, so that i don't really know about this.

If i need to sent out an email in my serlvet program, do i need to download
and install javamail?
(I did a mail() in PHP, which calls /bin/mail indeed, most likely...)

According to this FAQ saying:
http://java.sun.com/products/javamail/FAQ.html#1

Q: What is the JavaMailTM API?
A: The JavaMailTM API is a set of abstract APIs that model a mail system.
The API provides a platform independent and protocol independent framework
to build Java technology based email client applications. The JavaMail API
provides facilities for reading and sending email. Service providers
implement particular protocols. Several service providers are included with
the JavaMail API package; others are available separately. The JavaMail API
is implemented as a Java optional package that can be used on JDK 1.1.6 and
later. The JavaMail API is also a required part of the JavaTM 2 Platform,
Enterprise Edition (J2EETM).

Do I have J2SE, i don't have JavaMail right?
So, the easy way out, is to install J2EE in the first place, rather than
J2SE?

I don't this sounds stupid, but please help.

Many thanks!

Simon.

TOMCAT 4.0.2 server crash

Posted by Keith Ng <wo...@yahoo.com>.
Hi

I set up my tomcat server from home and then went to school to try access.
for a while it was ok, but after repeatly doing many database queries and
processing, suddenly i wasnt able to access the server. It returned a
gateway timeout error. I den went home just now and realise the Tomcat does
window is gone. I went to the log and track the following.

ACCESS LOG
===========
153.20.95.66 - - [01/Mar/2002:13:43:45 8000] "GET
/ps/jscripts/validateRegister.js HTTP/1.1" 304 -
153.20.95.66 - - [01/Mar/2002:13:43:46 8000] "GET
/ps/jscripts/validateAdvSearch.js HTTP/1.1" 304 -
//153.20.95.66 is my school's pc ip. its the last GET request
127.0.0.1 - - [01/Mar/2002:16:11:07 8000] "GET /ps/css/PSCSS.css HTTP/1.1"
304 -
==========

LOG
2002-03-01 13:42:40 jsp: init
2002-03-01 13:42:40 jsp: init
2002-03-01 13:43:27 jsp: init
2002-03-01 13:43:29 jsp: init
2002-03-01 13:43:45 jsp: init

after this supposedly there is no more request from school pc
i went home and found tomcat server dos window gone

as u can see, there is no clear wat has happened at all. Is there any other
logs i have missed regarding the auto shutdown of tomcat? Can anyone tell me
wat could have happened to cause tomcat to auto shutdown? Thanks...

Re: Java servlet and mailing

Posted by Uma Maheswar <he...@globalleafs.com>.
Hi,
If you need to send an email you dont need to download and install all of
the Java Mail. Using SmtpClient you can send an email. There is a good
programme for download in our site. http://www.globalleafs.com. Check it in
the download section.
Hope it helps

Help and support