Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2016/04/14 00:40:39 UTC

post-branch_6x Jira version renaming(s) got overlooked?

I just noticed that most of the (older) jira's listed in 6.0's CHANGES.txt
files are still showing up in Jira as being fixed in "master"

Examples...

Only some of the more recent issues, that were resolved after branch_6x /
(and/or branch_6_0) was created, thus people deliberately backported
and deliberately marked them as fixed in 6.0 have the newer "6.0" fix
version...

my recollection is that part of the release process for creating a new X.0
release is to rename the "master" version in Jira to "X.0" and re-add a
new "master" version -- but it looks like that never happened for 6.0 (is
it not documented as part of the release process?) and insstead entirely
new "6.0" jira versions were added.

In any case: it seems like we now need to bulk edit *most* of the
issues currently labeled "Fixed: master" in both the LUCENE and SOLR jira
projects, so they are "Fixed: 6.0" (i say *most* because obviously we'll
need to audit the issues resolved & committed only to master after the
6x branch was created and leave them alone) .. sound right?

(we probably shouldn't remove/replace the existing "6.0" versions in
Jira, because we already have issues marked as "Affects: 6.0")

Or am i completley missunderstanding the situation?

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: post-branch_6x Jira version renaming(s) got overlooked?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
I've filed LUCENE-7271 to track the work that needs done, and included
full details on exactly what i plan to do.

I'll try to get started sometime tomorrow unless anyone chimes in on that
jira with concerns/suggested improvements to the plan...

: Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 15:41:06 -0700 (MST)
: From: Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>
: To: Lucene Dev <de...@lucene.apache.org>
: Subject: Re: post-branch_6x Jira version renaming(s) got overlooked?
:
:
: : OK. I'm not sure you're missing anything. But, I think we'll all know
: : for sure pretty quickly once we're doing it.
:
: That sounds like a ringing vote of confidence!
:
:
: : Do you want help with this? Seems like you have it under control, but
: : if you want to split it somehow, I can help a bit this afternoon.
:
: Not just yet thanks ... i want to mull it a bit more, and maybe start on
: it monday.
:
: One thing i'll definitely do before i start changing anything is use the
: "Bulk Edit" feature to add *comments* with 2 new unique magic strings to
: all of the issues that match the queries against the current "master" or
: "6.0"
:
: Once thats done then we should be able to merge the versions with
: confidence, because we should always be able to do searches to find those
: 2 distinct sets again if something gets fucked up and needs manually fixed
: -- and the various audits we need/want to do can be done after the fact
: using searches on those magic strings.
:
: when it's time for auditing those ~100 6.1 jiras it might be worth
: splitting up the work, but it should go pretty quick.
:
:
: :
: : On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 2:47 PM, Chris Hostetter
: : <ho...@fucit.org> wrote:
: : >
: : > : Yeah, good point, I forgot about the permutations with backported issues.
: : > :
: : > : But it's not just master + 6.1,  it's also master + 6.0. That's why
: : > : the query I sent out looked for issues that had "master", but not
: : > : either of those versions. If it's marked for 6.0 and also master, then
: : > : it's meant for 7.0 (eventually).
: : >
: : > Not neccessarily -- we have no way of nowing when "master" was put in
: : > fixVersion, so "6.0, master" might mean "commited to master=7.0 and
: : > branch_6x=6.0" or it might mean "commited to master which was then later
: : > forked to branch_6x but then someone also added 6.0 explicitly when
: : > resolving"
: : >
: : > in general, if we're going to merge master->6.0 we don't have to worry
: : > about any issues that *currently* list both -- that wll be resolved when
: : > they merge.
: : >
: : > I'm pretty sure we only have to worry about:
: : >
: : > a) issues that list both "master
: : > + 6.1" and wether that really means "commited to branch_6_0=6.0 and
: : > branch_6x=6.1" or "commited to master=7.0 and branch_6x=6.0" ... which is
: : > why i suggested a manual audit based on jira query.
: : >
: : > b) issues that *should* only list "master" once we are all done ... which
: : > should be a really straight forward audit of the 7.0 CHANGES.txt.
: : >
: : > ...or am i still missing something?
: : >
: : > : generally assumed. We could remove master from all issues that already
: : > : have another fixVersion (except the forward ones, 6.0 and 6.1), and
: : > : then just deal with that list. It's much more manageable:
: : > :
: : > : https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-9046?jql=project%20%3D%20SOLR%20AND%20status%20in%20(Resolved%2C%20Closed)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20master%20AND%20fixVersion%20not%20in%20releasedVersions()
: : >
: : > how would we remove master from master from those issues? the "Bulk Edit
: : > replaces whole field" problem would force us to remove all fixVersions in
: : > that case wouldn't it?
: : >
: : >
: : >
: : >
: : >
: : > : > : > for both the LUCENE and SOLR project...
: : > : > : >
: : > : > : > 1) Audit the list of Jira's with 'fixVersion=mater AND fixVersion=6.1' and
: : > : > : > manually remove master from all of them (only ~100 total)
: : > : > : > 2) merge "master" into "6.0"
: : > : > : > 3) re add a "master" version to Jira
: : > : > : > 3) Audit CHANGES.txt and set fixVersion=master on the handful of issues in
: : > : > : > the 7.0 section
: : >
: : > -Hoss
: : > http://www.lucidworks.com/
: : >
: : > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
: : > For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@lucene.apache.org
: : >
: :
: : ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
[...]

: <ho...@fucit.org> wrote:
: >
: > : Yeah, good point, I forgot about the permutations with backported issues.
: > :
[...]
: > : > : >

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, good point, I forgot about the permutations with backported issues.

But it's not just master + 6.1,  it's also master + 6.0. That's why
the query I sent out looked for issues that had "master", but not
either of those versions. If it's marked for 6.0 and also master, then
it's meant for 7.0 (eventually).

David did bring up a good point, though, which is that if it has a
prior version (4.x, 5.x) then, the fact it's also in 5.x or 6.x is
generally assumed. We could remove master from all issues that already
have another fixVersion (except the forward ones, 6.0 and 6.1), and
then just deal with that list. It's much more manageable:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-9046?jql=project%20%3D%20SOLR%20AND%20status%20in%20(Resolved%2C%20Closed)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20master%20AND%20fixVersion%20not%20in%20releasedVersions()

Posted by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com>.
Yeah good point; nevermind.  Sorry for the noise.
+1 to your "current favorite idea of doing a jira 'merge versions' and
manually auditing the issues that etc."

Posted by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com>.
The biggest problem seems to be that bulk edit to set the version number
overrides any *additional* version numbers in those issues (they'd get
removed).  Assuming we can set multiple versions in bulk-edit, maybe we
only need to do this command once for every 5.x release? -- i.e. find all
issues with fix version master & 5.2, then replace it with 6.0 & 5.2.  Or
just replace with 5.2 for that matter -- code in 5.x is assumed to be in
all versions after (whatever "master" is).  When I close issues, I don't
mark them with one version number even though I have to commit it to both
branches.   Hmm; but a 4x backport would be an additional version number...
maybe we could handle those issues manually?

Posted by Cassandra Targett <ca...@gmail.com>.
Is it possible there are 2100 of these?

I did the below JIRA query, only in the Solr project, looking for
Resolved or Closed issues with fixVersion of "master", but not with
fixVersion of 6.0 nor 6.1, resolved before 8 Apr 2016 (the release
date of Lucene/Solr 6).

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-7712?jql=project%20%3D%20SOLR%20AND%20status%20in%20(Resolved%2C%20Closed)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20master%20AND%20fixVersion%20!%3D%206.0%20AND%20fixVersion%20!%3D%206.1%20AND%20resolved%20%3C%20%222016%2F04%2F08%22

(Obviously this misses Lucene issues, but I assume a similar strategy
would apply. Also, we may want to shift the date back to the cutting
of the 6_x branch.)

It seems it would be easier to make some sort of "rename master" sort
of change and go back and fix the ones that shouldn't be changed
because they have been finished post-6.0 release, but I'm not seeing a
good way to make a single query for those.

Additionally, and sadly, in JIRA any bulk update to a field overwrites
the existing value in the field. So if the fixVersion is "master" and
"5.3", then doing a bulk update to "master" only would remove "5.3".

So, yeah, what you guys said - it's not going to be super-easy.

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.

wrote:

> [...]
> : > it not documented as part of the release process?) and insstead
> entirely
> : > new "6.0" jira versions were added.
> : >
> : > In any case: it seems like we now need to bulk edit *most* of the
> : > issues currently labeled "Fixed: master" in both the LUCENE and SOLR
> jira
> : > projects, so they are "Fixed: 6.0" (i say *most* because obviously
> we'll
> : > need to audit the issues resolved & committed only to master after the
> : > 6x branch was created and leave them alone) .. sound right?
> : >
> : > (we probably shouldn't remove/replace the existing "6.0" versions in
> : > Jira, because we already have issues marked as "Affects: 6.0")
> : >
> : > Or am i completley missunderstanding the situation?

Anshum Gupta

Re: post-branch_6x Jira version renaming(s) got overlooked?

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> I just noticed that most of the (older) jira's listed in 6.0's CHANGES.txt
> files are still showing up in Jira as being fixed in "master"
>
> Examples...

> Only some of the more recent issues, that were resolved after branch_6x /
> (and/or branch_6_0) was created, thus people deliberately backported
> and deliberately marked them as fixed in 6.0 have the newer "6.0" fix
> version...

> my recollection is that part of the release process for creating a new X.0
> release is to rename the "master" version in Jira to "X.0" and re-add a
> new "master" version -- but it looks like that never happened for 6.0 (is
> it not documented as part of the release process?) and insstead entirely
> new "6.0" jira versions were added.
>
> In any case: it seems like we now need to bulk edit *most* of the
> issues currently labeled "Fixed: master" in both the LUCENE and SOLR jira
> projects, so they are "Fixed: 6.0" (i say *most* because obviously we'll
> need to audit the issues resolved & committed only to master after the
> 6x branch was created and leave them alone) .. sound right?
>
> (we probably shouldn't remove/replace the existing "6.0" versions in
> Jira, because we already have issues marked as "Affects: 6.0")
>
> Or am i completley missunderstanding the situation?
>

> -Hoss
> http://www.lucidworks.com/

- Mark
about.me/markrmiller