Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2006/03/29 23:10:59 UTC

Re: [ANN] TomcatProbe 1.0.8b is available to download

Lawrence Rosen wrote:
>>Upayavira wrote:
>>
>>>But surely 'Tomcat' is also an Apache trademark. It would, to my mind,
>>>be valid to describe it as "XXX Probe for Apache Tomcat", but not Tomcat
>>>Probe.
>>>

>>This is what I am thinking. Can any one give a more definitive opinion
>>one way or the other?
>

> If we filed a US registration we'd be able to answer that question
> precisely. However, in our somewhat informal state of common law trademark,
> which is all we have, it isn't clear to me what the "goods" are that are in
> association with the "Tomcat" mark. That's one other advantage of
> registration.
>
> I suggest, though, that "Tomcat Probe software" would be an infringement of
> our common law trademark in "Tomcat software." We shouldn't acquiesce in
> their use.
>
> /Larry

The Tomcat PMC has been in contact with the author of "Tomcat Probe"
and he is unwilling to change the name without an official Apache
position that this is a trademark infringement.

Where do I go to get such a statement? Is Larry's statement above it?
If it is, I am concerned about the use of the phrase "I suggest...".
IANAL. Is this just lawyer speak for "In my opinion x, but nothing is
certain unless you go to court and ask a judge."?

For the legally minded the author's position is:
<quote>
* "Tomcat Probe" is a phrase to express the very nature of the project
and not just a catchphrase. It is my interpretation that "Tomcat
Probe" qualifies as "customary description of work" and therefore does
not violate Apache License and I will stand by this until I hear an
official position of ASF on this matter.
</quote>

Finally, is this the right list to be having this discussion given
that it is publicly archived? If not, where is?

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Mark

Re: [ANN] TomcatProbe 1.0.8b is available to download

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Thursday 30 March 2006 05:53, Ian Holsman wrote:
>
>>I don't think any of us in the ASF think he is a schmuck... and we
>>REALLY hope he will continue with ongoing development of his tool.
>>we just object to the name, and hope we can come to a mutually
>>acceptable solution which benefits both of us.
>

> If that is the position, then embrace instead of confront. So, why not suggest
> to bring it to Incubation.

The thought had crossed my mind. I want to resolve the legal position
first (happening now on legal-internal) and then make a decision about
a way forward.

Mark

Re: [ANN] TomcatProbe 1.0.8b is available to download

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 30 March 2006 05:53, Ian Holsman wrote:
> I don't think any of us in the ASF think he is a schmuck... and we
> REALLY hope he will continue with ongoing development of his tool.
> we just object to the name, and hope we can come to a mutually
> acceptable solution which benefits both of us.

If that is the position, then embrace instead of confront. So, why not suggest
to bring it to Incubation.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: [ANN] TomcatProbe 1.0.8b is available to download

Posted by Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>.
just a point here.
the guy has got a good tool, which may be of benefit to the community.

I don't think any of us in the ASF think he is a schmuck... and we
REALLY hope he will continue with ongoing development of his tool.
we just object to the name, and hope we can come to a mutually
acceptable solution which benefits both of us.

regards
Ian
(not a lawyer, and not speaking for the ASF in a official capacity)

--
Ian Holsman  ++61-3-9877-0909
Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreens

Re: [ANN] TomcatProbe 1.0.8b is available to download

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.