Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/28 17:11:47 UTC

mod_lbmethod_byrequests required to define a BalancerMember

When defining a balancer, mod_lbmethod_byrequests is always looked up
explicitly and used as the initial LB method.

I am curious how others feel about this:

[ ] document that mod_lbmethod_byrequests needs to be loaded and
improve the error
[ ] make it work if ProxySet lbmethod=other occurs before BalancerMember
[ ] make it work if  ProxySet lbmethod=other occurs after BalancerMember
[ ] refactor byrequests back into mod_proxy or mod_proxy_balancer so
it's always available

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com

Re: mod_lbmethod_byrequests required to define a BalancerMember

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
great! Thx for the quick verification.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Resolved in r1428916

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Daniel Ruggeri <DR...@primary.net>.
On 12/28/2012 10:11 AM, Eric Covener wrote:
> When defining a balancer, mod_lbmethod_byrequests is always looked up
> explicitly and used as the initial LB method.
>
> I am curious how others feel about this:
>
> [ ] document that mod_lbmethod_byrequests needs to be loaded and
> improve the error
> [ ] make it work if ProxySet lbmethod=other occurs before BalancerMember
> [X] make it work if  ProxySet lbmethod=other occurs after BalancerMember
> [ ] refactor byrequests back into mod_proxy or mod_proxy_balancer so
> it's always available

This seems to be the best option to me also. Refactoring the code into
mod_proxy(_balancer) defeats the purpose of loadable balancer modules
and documenting the requirement sounds like working around the issue.

--
Daniel Ruggeri

Re: mod_lbmethod_byrequests required to define a BalancerMember

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

Eric Covener wrote:
> When defining a balancer, mod_lbmethod_byrequests is always looked up
> explicitly and used as the initial LB method.
>
> I am curious how others feel about this:
>
> [ ] document that mod_lbmethod_byrequests needs to be loaded and
> improve the error
> [ ] make it work if ProxySet lbmethod=other occurs before BalancerMember
> [X] make it work if  ProxySet lbmethod=other occurs after BalancerMember
> [ ] refactor byrequests back into mod_proxy or mod_proxy_balancer so
> it's always available

Regards

Rüdiger

Re: mod_lbmethod_byrequests required to define a BalancerMember

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Tim Bannister <is...@jellybaby.net> wrote:
> On 28 Dec 2012, at 16:11, Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When defining a balancer, mod_lbmethod_byrequests is always looked up
>> explicitly and used as the initial LB method.
>>
>> I am curious how others feel about this:
>>
>> [ ] document that mod_lbmethod_byrequests needs to be loaded and
>> improve the error
>> [ ] make it work if ProxySet lbmethod=other occurs before BalancerMember
>> [x] make it work if  ProxySet lbmethod=other occurs after BalancerMember
>> [ ] refactor byrequests back into mod_proxy or mod_proxy_balancer so
>> it's always available
>
> …I like that one and would also like the moon on a stick please.
>
> Maybe there could be a very simple lbmethod that isn't byrequests, and is always available? For example, purely random allocation using a poor quality PRNG?

I considered that, but byrequests has no real dependencies and is
already under 200 lines of physical code.

Re: mod_lbmethod_byrequests required to define a BalancerMember

Posted by Tim Bannister <is...@jellybaby.net>.

Tim Bannister – isoma@jellybaby.net