Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/14 10:34:43 UTC

Lucene blob size different in trunk and 1.0 branch

Hi,

As part of [1] the Lucene blob size was changed to 16kb (from 32 kb)
to ensure that Lucene blobs are not made part of FileDataStore when
SegmentMK is used. However this revision was not merged to 1.0 branch.

This miss also affects the caching logic in DataStore (OAK-1726) as
there it was assumed that Lucene blobs would be less than 16 kb hence
it only cached binaries upto 16 kb. However in trunk the Lucene blobs
are of size 32 kb which breaks this assumption and Lucene blobs would
not be cached in memory. This can be fixed via config setting
'maxCachedBinarySize'

Changing it to 16 now in 1.0 would cause upgrade issue.

So should the change be reverted in trunk?

Chetan Mehrotra
[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=r1587430
[2] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/jackrabbit/oak/branches/1.0/oak-lucene/src/main/java/org/apache/jackrabbit/oak/plugins/index/lucene/OakDirectory.java?view=markup

Re: Lucene blob size different in trunk and 1.0 branch

Posted by Davide Giannella <gi...@gmail.com>.
On 14/05/2014 09:34, Chetan Mehrotra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As part of [1] the Lucene blob size was changed to 16kb (from 32 kb)
> to ensure that Lucene blobs are not made part of FileDataStore when
> SegmentMK is used. However this revision was not merged to 1.0 branch.
>
> This miss also affects the caching logic in DataStore (OAK-1726) as
> there it was assumed that Lucene blobs would be less than 16 kb hence
> it only cached binaries upto 16 kb. However in trunk the Lucene blobs
> are of size 32 kb which breaks this assumption and Lucene blobs would
> not be cached in memory. This can be fixed via config setting
> 'maxCachedBinarySize'
>
> Changing it to 16 now in 1.0 would cause upgrade issue.
>
> So should the change be reverted in trunk?

I could miss some points but could we leave as it is in 1.0 and fix any
upgrade issue in trunk for 1.1? IIUC the only setback is that lucene
blobs won't be cached in memory for 1.0 that means slower full-text
searches but still functional.

Cheers
Davide