Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Petter Måhlén <pe...@elevance.se> on 2004/04/12 23:16:27 UTC

Null parameter during form rewind

Hi,

I am getting an exception that I don't understand how to deal with, a
"source is null for getProperty(null, "workDate")", during the rewind phase.
The (nearly) full stack trace is at the end of the email. Maybe I have an
unnecessarily complicated structure. First, there is a component
(ReportTable) with the following .html:

---
/></td>
---

In the .jwc, the 'workdays' component and 'workDay' property are specified
as:
---
  <property-specification name="workDay"
type="se.elevance.timer.data.WorkDay" persistent="no" />

  <component id="workdays" type="Foreach">
    <binding name="source"   expression="workDayList"/>
    <binding name="value"    expression="workDay"/>
    <static-binding name="element" value="tr"/>
  </component>
---

WorkDayReport.jwc contains this parameter specification:
---
  <parameter name="workDay" type="se.elevance.timer.data.WorkDay"
direction="in" required="yes">
    <description>
    The working day to present reporting options for.
    </description>
  </parameter>
---

The line in the .html file that causes the BindingException ("Unable to
resolve expression 'workDay.workDate' for
se.elevance.timer.web.WorkDayReport$Enhance_26@
1e2c841[Report/newReports.$WorkDayReport]") refers to the workDay parameter.
And since that is required, I don't see that it can be null?

This seems to be similar to one or two other times when I have run into
problems because the order of initialisation of nested components is not
well defined. Could the problem be that the ReportTable component, which
contains the Foreach, has not yet been properly initialised when the form's
rewind() method is called? Meaning that the workDay property in the
ReportTable is not bound to anything yet?

I seem to be running into this type of problems a lot, so presumably I am
missing something fundamental about how Tapestry deals with component
parameters and nested components. Hopefully somebody can point me to a
better way of dealing with it.

Thanks,

Petter

----
Stack Trace:
ognl.OgnlRuntime.getProperty(OgnlRuntime.java:1435)
ognl.ASTProperty.getValueBody(ASTProperty.java:96)
ognl.SimpleNode.getValue(SimpleNode.java:192)
ognl.ASTChain.getValueBody(ASTChain.java:109)
ognl.SimpleNode.getValue(SimpleNode.java:192)
ognl.Ognl.getValue(Ognl.java:335)
ognl.Ognl.getValue(Ognl.java:310)
org.apache.tapestry.binding.ExpressionBinding.resolveProperty(ExpressionBind
ing.java:201)
org.apache.tapestry.binding.ExpressionBinding.getObject(ExpressionBinding.ja
va:194)
org.apache.tapestry.binding.AbstractBinding.getObject(AbstractBinding.java:2
08)
org.apache.tapestry.param.AbstractParameterConnector.getBindingValue(Abstrac
tParameterConnector.java:105)
org.apache.tapestry.param.ObjectParameterConnector.setParameter(ObjectParame
terConnector.java:53)
org.apache.tapestry.param.ParameterManager.setParameters(ParameterManager.ja
va:105)
org.apache.tapestry.AbstractComponent.prepareForRender(AbstractComponent.jav
a:898)
org.apache.tapestry.AbstractComponent.render(AbstractComponent.java:853)
org.apache.tapestry.AbstractComponent.renderBody(AbstractComponent.java:624)

org.apache.tapestry.form.Form.renderComponent(Form.java:362)
org.apache.tapestry.AbstractComponent.render(AbstractComponent.java:857)
org.apache.tapestry.form.Form.rewind(Form.java:568)
org.apache.tapestry.engine.RequestCycle.rewindForm(RequestCycle.java:435)
org.apache.tapestry.form.Form.trigger(Form.java:582)
org.apache.tapestry.engine.DirectService.service(DirectService.java:169)
org.apache.tapestry.engine.AbstractEngine.service(AbstractEngine.java:872)
org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet.doService(ApplicationServlet.java:197
)
org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationServlet.doPost(ApplicationServlet.java:326)

RE: Null parameter during form rewind

Posted by Petter Måhlén <pe...@elevance.se>.
Hi again,

I keep trying to understand this, and if I have pieced things together
correctly, it seems like the following things happen when a form is posted
(stuff happens before and after as well, of course):

1. DirectService.service is invoked. This method locates the form on the
page and retrieves an instance of the object. As far as I can tell, in my
case, there will be only one instance named $WorkDayReport.form on the page,
but that should be OK.
2. Form.trigger() is invoked for the form instance.
3. RequestCycle.rewindForm() is invoked with the form instance as a
parameter.
4. Form.rewind() is invoked for the form instance.
5. AbstractComponent.render() is invoked for the form instance.
6. Form.prepareForRender() is invoked for the form instance.
7. AbstractComponent.prepareForRender() is invoked, which tries to set
parameters for the parameter manager and fails.

In this chain, the containing components (in particular the Foreach) are
never initialised with a call to prepareForRender(). This call would have
set up its parameters, and made the parameter used by the form valid. During
the render cycle, AbstractPage.renderPage is called, which starts rendering
from the top rather than from the form component and therefore ensures that
parameter initialisation is done from top to bottom.

Questions for the gurus:
1. Is this a correct description of what happens or am I missing something?
2. If so, is it intentional or a bug? It seems like a bug to me, because
what it means is that if a form is nested inside a component, parameters of
the surrounding component cannot be accessed during the rewind cycle.

/ Petter

Posted by Petter Måhlén <pe...@elevance.se>.

Posted by Shawn Church <sh...@boxity.com>.
Petter,