Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Pierre Villard <pi...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/04 19:59:21 UTC

Beeline fails on uniontype columns

Hi,

I've an external table backed by an avro schema containing a union type
field.

"type" : [ "int", "string", "null" ]

When describing the table I've:

describe test_table;
+-------------------+---------------------------------------------------------------+----------+--+
|     col_name      |
data_type                           | comment  |
+-------------------+---------------------------------------------------------------+----------+--+
| description       |
string                                                        |          |
| name              |
string                                                        |          |
| value             |
uniontype<int,string,void>                                    |          |
+-------------------+---------------------------------------------------------------+----------+--+

When doing a select query over the data using the Hive CLI, it works:

hive> select value from test_table;
OK
{0:10}
{0:10}
{0:9}
{0:9}

But when using beeline, it fails:

0: jdbc:hive2://....> select * from test_table;
Error: Unrecognized column type: UNIONTYPE (state=,code=0)

Is it a known issue? Is there a workaround for that (I have to use a JDBC
connection)?

Versions:
Hive 1.2.1000.2.6.1.0-129
Beeline version 1.2.1000.2.6.1.0-129 by Apache Hive

Thanks!
Pierre