Posted to dev@sedona.apache.org by Jia Yu <ji...@apache.org> on 2022/06/19 01:05:28 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate Apache Sedona (incubating) to a Top Level Project

Dear all in the community,

I am starting a vote to graduate Apache Sedona (incubating) as a Top Level
Project.

After a community discussion [1], we gathered a lot of feedback that
the community supported Sedona to graduate from the Apache incubator
as a top-level Apache project.

Sedona has been incubating since 07-19-2020. For almost 2 years, the
Sedona community has made great progress and grown rapidly under the
guidance of our mentors. We believe the Sedona project has met the
conditions for graduation. Project maturity model is detailed in [2],
and the summary on the state of the community are listed below.

Sedona joined the Apache Incubator on July 19 2020. As of May 29 2022

***Community statistics***

- number of contributions (commits) since incubation
265
Overall: 965
27% of the commits were added since incubation.

- number of contributors (and growth since incubation)
40
Overall: 74
54% of the contributors joined since incubation

- email discussions since incubation: 798 threads on dev@sedona.apache.org

- releases: 5

- number of release managers: 2 (Jia Yu and Paweł Kociński)

- affiliations of committers / PPMC members
Paweł Kociński: GetInData (Poland)
Netanel Malka: Sela Group (Israel)
Jinxuan Wu: Bloomberg (US)
Zongsi Zhang: Grab (Singapore)
Jia Yu: Washington State University (US)
Mohame Sarwat: Arizona State University (US)
Yitao Li: SafeGraph (US)

- new committers or PPMC members since incubation
Yitao Li: SafeGraph

- monthly downloads:
over 500k from Maven Central, PyPi and CRAN.

***Code, License, and Copyright***

Sedona community maintains project code on GitHub, and all modules
code is under Apache 2.0 license. We have reviewed all the
dependencies and ensured they do not bring any license issues [3]. All
the status files, license headers, and copyright are up to date.

***Quality***

Sedona community created 5 GitHub Workflows [4], which cover
compilation, unit testing, integration testing, etc. All code patches need
to pass these
pipelines first. In addition, Sedona has a matching Pull Request
template and commit requirements to ensure that all commits have
corresponding classification and traceability.

***Independence***

All of the 7 PPMC members are spread across 7 different
organizations.

For these reasons, we initiate this vote on whether to graduate Sedona
from Apache Incubator, everyone from the Sedona community has the
right to vote, please vote on graduating Sedona from Apache Incubator:

[ ] +1 yes, I support Sedona to graduate from the Apache incubator and
become a top-level Apache project.

[ ] +0 no opinion

[ ] -1 no, the Sedona project is not ready to graduate, because ...

This vote will be open for at least 72 hours or until receive 3 +1 vote
from PPMC.

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/svd06kp5dojvw7pyk731tbrzkqfhjzbs
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SEDONA-81
[3] https://github.com/apache/incubator-sedona/blob/master/LICENSE
[4] https://github.com/apache/incubator-sedona/tree/master/.github/workflows

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Sedona (incubating) to a Top Level Project

Posted by Jia Yu <ji...@apache.org>.
Thank you all! The vote is now closed.

Posted by Jinxuan Wu <ji...@icloud.com.INVALID>.
+1