Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Gerolamo Valcamonica <ge...@pyder.com> on 2014/06/09 17:17:57 UTC

KVM + VMware (and ceph)

Hi Everybody,

i have a production environment of cloudstack 4.3 based on KVM hosts and
CEPH storage

It's a good solution for me and i have good performance on both compute
and storage side

But now i have an explicit customer request for VMware environment so
I'm investigating about it.

Here my questions:
- Can i have a mixed environment KVM + VMware vSphere Essentials Plus
Kit under Cloudstack?
- Can I have a mixed networking environment , so that i can, as example,
have a frontend VMs on KVM and a backend VMs on VMware, on the same
customere?
(- Third, but off topic, question: can i have VMware hosts and CEPH
storage?)

Is there someone with similar enviroment that can give me suggestion
about this?

--
Gerolamo Valcamonica

Re: KVM + VMware (and ceph)

Posted by Ignazio Cassano <ig...@gmail.com>.
Hi, I think you could export an rbd device as an iscsi lun and let vmware
to use it.
In this configuration you obtain a replicated lun .

Re: KVM + VMware (and ceph)

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
On 09.06.2014 16:17, Gerolamo Valcamonica wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
>
> i have a production environment of cloudstack 4.3 based on KVM hosts
> and CEPH storage
>
> It's a good solution for me and i have good performance on both
> compute and storage side
>
> But now i have an explicit customer request for VMware environment so
> I'm investigating about it.
>
> Here my questions:
> - Can i have a mixed environment KVM + VMware vSphere Essentials Plus
> Kit under Cloudstack?
> - Can I have a mixed networking environment , so that i can, as
> example, have a frontend VMs on KVM and a backend VMs on VMware, on
> the same customere?
> (- Third, but off topic, question: can i have VMware hosts and CEPH
> storage?)
>
> Is there someone with similar enviroment that can give me suggestion
> about this?

Hello,

You can add Vmware hosts in a different/new cluster and let your user
access it, sounds pretty simple and AFAIK it well within ACS's
capabilities.
Regarding Vmware and CEPH, it's not impossible, but I've never heard
about this.

HTH
Lucian

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: KVM + VMware (and ceph)

Posted by Gerolamo Valcamonica <ge...@overweb.it>.
Ok, Inktank has confirmed to me that currently the only way to make Ceph
and VMware work together is:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ceph.user/1262

Sorry for off topic

Gerolamo Valcamonica

--
Gerolamo Valcamonica
Overweb Srl

Nota di riservatezza. Il presente messaggio, e i relativi allegati, contengono informazioni strettamente riservate e sono destinati esclusivamente al destinatario sopra indicato, il quale è l'unico autorizzato a usarlo, copiarlo e, sotto la propria responsabilità, diffonderlo. Chiunque ricevesse questo messaggio per errore e/o lo leggesse senza esserne legittimato è avvertito che trattenerlo, copiarlo, divulgarlo, distribuirlo a persone diverse dal destinatario è severamente proibito, ed è pregato di rinviarlo immediatamente al mittente distruggendo l'originale.

Re: KVM + VMware (and ceph)

Posted by Ignazio Cassano <ig...@gmail.com>.
Hi all, I would like to make the same configuration but using ISCSI instead
of NFS.
I could set two phisical servers(for high availability)  with ubuntu and
lio iscsi target.
On the ceph side this servers will use rbd and on the vmware side they will
exports rbd disks as LUNs.
I would verify if there will be a performance degradation vs kvm rbd
integration.
Someone has tested this configuration yet ?

Regards

Re: KVM + VMware (and ceph)

Re: KVM + VMware (and ceph)

Posted by Gerolamo Valcamonica <ge...@overweb.it>.