Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Cedric Veilleux <ce...@neopeak.com> on 2004/03/17 23:43:57 UTC

imap status

Hi,

    I am new to James. I have just been reviewing the imap proposals in
CVS. Is anybody currently working on it?

    What is the current consensus on how to implement imap mail store?
I've seen the org.apache.james.imapserver.store package, which I guess
provides the features needed to implement the imap specs but is not
compatible with the pop server..

    Also, James needs MailRepository to deliver incoming mail to a user.
The imap store does not provide this. What's the plan here?

--
C�dric Veilleux

Re: imap status

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Cedric Veilleux wrote:
> There are no reserved or illegal characters. Each implementation can
> decide which delimiter character to use. The client will know the
> delimiter of the server by sending a LIST command with no additional
> argument. The server should then send ".INBOX" or "/INBOX" or whichever
> delimiter it uses followed by INBOX. See 6.3..8.  LIST Command of
> rfc2060.
>
> The delimiter is usually "." or "/". It might break poorly written
> clients to use something else.

Agreed, I've seen clients screwed by anything but / as the delimiter and
would favor that.

--
Serge Knystautas
President

RE: imap status

Posted by Cedric Veilleux <ce...@neopeak.com>.
> To get IMAP working there are major 3 pieces of work that need to be
> done:
> 1) Add attribute support to users (for both file: and db:)- This is
> required for storing mailbox settings etc
> 2) Ensure that all current mail repositories support attributes for
> mail - mbox does not for example :)

Is it really necessary to be able to use any stores for imap?

Enabling attributes from mbox style stores sounds like a lot of work.
The messages need to be mangled to add additional headers for the
attributes when saving and remove them when fetching a message.

> 3) Link the repositories to the IMAP server
>
> My primary goal is to make sure that a user can use either POP3 or
> IMAP4 when accessing their mailbox. The underlying storage mechanism
> should not force a user to use a particular protocol only.

Yes, that is very important. It is very common to see imap used to
access mail through a webmail and POP to access it from a mail client.

> I'm personally a bit busy at the moment, but by the time Noel has
> finished the v3 update I will start rolling in some of my IMAP support
> code.
>
> The IMAP protocol stack written by Darrell is my starting point. As
> you may have noticed it only stores to memory at the moment.
>
> All I will do for implementation for the storage is use the existing
> mail repository providers and add the mailbox name on the end as a
> postfix.
> For example (for use JW)
>
> Inbox (File JW)
>      James    - (File JW.James)
>             Dev - (File JW.James.Dev)
>      Sent       - (File JW.Sent)
>      Spam     - (File JW.Spam)
>
> You get the idea :)
> I won't be using '.' as the separator BTW. The IMAP rfc has some chars
> that can't be used in folder names (I think) so I'll use those
> instead.

There are no reserved or illegal characters. Each implementation can
decide which delimiter character to use. The client will know the
delimiter of the server by sending a LIST command with no additional
argument. The server should then send ".INBOX" or "/INBOX" or whichever
delimiter it uses followed by INBOX. See 6.3..8.  LIST Command of
rfc2060.

The delimiter is usually "." or "/". It might break poorly written
clients to use something else.

--
Cédric Veilleux

RE: imap status