Posted to easyant-dev@incubator.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2012/01/06 06:35:12 UTC

State of EasyAnt (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Jan 2012 ([ppmc]))

On 2012-01-05, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:

> Le 4 janv. 2012 à 06:33, Stefan Bodewig a écrit :

>> On 2012-01-03, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:

>>> nothing much to say though.
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/January2012

>> Any ideas on how to address the current state of "no progress"?

[reshuffled Niclas' response slightly]

> I think we need people involved. The status of the current code base
> is too broken to have somebody new to be able help,

<snip />

> I would also be more motivated if there would be more activity around.

Difficult to resolve this cycle.  Who if not you or Jean-Louis could
provide this activity?

> so I think the current team needs to setup something buildable and
> installable locally, with instructions. And ultimately setup a build
> which make easyant releasable.

Agreed, this needs to be done, but do we have any timeframe by which
this will be done or by which we call incubation failed?  To some degree
I'm playing devil's advocate here, but eternal incubation is not an
option.

> For my part, I have been less active lately, I'm quite overwhelm, I
> even thought I would be able to boot a release of IvyDE and I still
> don't manage to.

I know exactly what you are talking about having just switched jobs.
You shouldn't feel bad.  After all, you are contributing despite your
lack of time and this project is supposed to be community driven.

> For my day to day job I have to work with cassandra, hadoop and
> elasticsearch, which, I have to admit, is a little more fun to play
> with than a build system. :)

In particular a build system you don't use yourself and doesn't provide
a personal itch to scratch to you.  Believe it or not, but I know
exactly what you are talking about.

Many thanks for your response and many thanks for the time you spend
contributing to EasyAnt.

Stefan

Re: State of EasyAnt (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Jan 2012 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Jérôme Benois <je...@benois.fr>.
Hi,

For my part, since several months I'm quite overwhelmed and I'm sorry of
this situation. In addition, I had some health problems, which are now
resolved. I am always also interested in EasyAnt and I sincerely hope to be
more active in the coming months.

Cheers,
Jérôme.

Re: State of EasyAnt (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Jan 2012 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Le 16 janv. 2012 à 11:18, Jean-Louis Boudart a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the delay i've not been available as  much as expected those last
> months.
> I'll be more available at the end of the week i think and i plan to finish
> and commit the refactoring of phases.
>
> As you pointed out we're in Apache Incubator since one year and we still
> have not achieved our objectives.
> I assume the main problem comes from our huge refactoring due to one of the
> core developper who didn't sign the CLA. As a consequence we've removed lot
> of features which were part of easyant (plugin documentation, some plugins,
> etc..). It probably affects a bit the motivation of others, at least it is
> my case, reimplementing stuff is not so fun (removing it either cc Nicolas
> :p).
>
> I still believe Apache is the place to be for EasyAnt i still plan to make
> this project live and to create interaction with Ant and Ivy community.
>
> To release the next version we need to finish our refactoring on phases and
> update documentation (including plugins). Then i propose for a n+1release
> (probably the 1.0) to provide a way to  test plugins and to generate
> documentation for plugins.

Sounds like a good plan !

Nicolas

Re: State of EasyAnt (was Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Jan 2012 ([ppmc]))

Posted by Jean-Louis Boudart <je...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
Jean Louis Boudart
Independent consultant

Re: State of EasyAnt

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 2012-01-09, Nicolas Lalevée wrote:
>
>> Le 6 janv. 2012 à 07:35, Stefan Bodewig a écrit :
>
>>> Agreed, this needs to be done, but do we have any timeframe by which
>>> this will be done or by which we call incubation failed?  To some degree
>>> I'm playing devil's advocate here, but eternal incubation is not an
>>> option.
>
>> I am starting to think it quite loud so I'll write it. If there is no
>> much progress until the next report, 3 month from now, I'm thinking
>> that we shouldn't bother Apache any longer.
>
> That's quite ambitiuos.  I agree that EasyAnt should really consider its
> options by then, not necessarily make a decision.
>
> Also, I wouldn't frame it as "bother Apache" but rather try to find out
> why we don't see more participation.  Is there anything in the ASF that
> is standing in the way of EasyAnt's progress (the license policy for
> plugins might, I don't know)?
>
> Stefan

Yes +1 to that. Don't feel its a "bother", its fine to be here if you
all still think its useful.

   ...ant

Re: State of EasyAnt

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.