Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com> on 2008/02/09 22:54:09 UTC

RFC: Standardized Find Screen Layout

Currently, the defacto standard layout for Find screens is like this:

  Page Title

  Create New Button

  Search Criteria Screenlet

  Search Results Screenlet

What I'm wondering is if we can standardize the screenlet titles The search criteria screenlet title bar would say "Search Criteria" and the search results screenlet title bar would say "Search Results". The page title already tells you what you're searching for.

I believe this will help improve the consistency of the UI and make it easier for new users to understand.

What do you think?

-Adrian

---------------------------------

Re: RFC: Standardized Find Screen Layout

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
I created a Jira issue where screenshots can be posted and we can share
ideas on this subject -

-Adrian

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by "Vince M. Clark" <vc...@globalera.com>.
+1 for tabs and Ajax. OfBiz UI needs to be "modernized."

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "David E Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks David - those are great suggestions!

I like the sound of Search Options better.

As far as a redesign of the Find screens is concerned, I'll give it some thought. I was just trying to standardize terminology for now, not redesign anything.

David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com> wrote:
You're right, it would look funny to have a header without a label.

Not sure how helpful they'll be, but some random thoughts:

1. if screen space is of concern these are a good candidate (among
many others) for elimination or consolidation; others that come to
mind are moving the new button up by the description, perhaps to the
right of the screen; if the header of a screenlet is eliminated the
+/- could go inside the lower box to the right or something

2. does the proliferation of header bars clutter the screen?

3. if the default behavior is mostly to show one or another (ie first
show the criteria, then after submission show the results), perhaps
just use two tabs for this, one for criteria and one for results?

4. the term "Criteria" seems a little bit technical and perhaps not
well understand; alternatives that come to mind are: constraints,
parameters, options, values, stuff, thingies, doo-dads... there's got
to be something better...

-David

Re: RFC: Standardized Find Screen Layout

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@yahoo.com>.

Re: RFC: Standardized Find Screen Layout

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.