Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> on 2020/06/16 14:40:58 UTC

[DISCUSS] when do we require an ICLA?

As I mentioned in the review thread, I'd quite like to discuss and
clarify when (if at all) we require an ICLA from contributors.

I've seen a number of PRs recently where contributors have been told,
or otherwise assume, that they require an ICLA for quite simple
contributions.  I've also seen contributors told (incorrectly AFAIK)
that ASF *requires* an ICLA for larger contributions.  At other times,
we've merged fairly large contributions without.

We (as in PMC) should decide what criteria we have here, but it would
be good to apply consistently, and not needlessly put barriers in the
way.

This seems a good read - it's not at ASF, but it's well linked in to
things that are, and as far as I know is still accurate.
https://apetro.ghost.io/apache-contributors-no-cla/

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: [DISCUSS] when do we require an ICLA?

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 at 20:56, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Generally Apache does not require ICLA from small-patch contributors. If a large-patch contribution comes in, generally projects may request an ICLA/CCLA depending on who owns the intellectual property.
>
> When I've been involved in the past with "to icla or not to icla" the question has come down to "how big a problem would reverting this patch be?"
>
> So look at it from the risk perspective. If someone (e.g. the submitter's employer) claims intellectual property rights over a contribution and the project subsequently had to revert the contribution, how much of a problem would that be? If it would be a major hassle, a contributor document would be requested. To avoid that risk, the PMC can decide to require an ICLA/CCLA before accepting a patch. "No one is going to tell the PMC what to do here".

Thanks!  Yes, this is my understanding on starting this thread.
Basically, from an ASF point of view, committers *require* an ICLA,
contributors don't, no matter how massive the change.  But it's also
committer's responsibility to be sure on IP issues.  And up to the PMC
exactly how best to apply.

Requiring an ICLA in certain circumstances makes sense.  At the moment
we just seem to say "important modifications" which everyone seems to
understand differently judging by recent PR comments.  I'd just prefer
to not requiring (or bringing up) unless necessary, and had a clearer
idea of what the triggers are -

Two quotes from an email (in response to the linked post) might be
useful for us, alongside your "how big a problem would reverting this
patch be?"

"If it is large enough or clever enough to be hard to replicate you
should probably ask for a more formal record of agreement to the
license."

"So as a rough guide, a typical small patch/pull request is easy,
someone adding a couple of brand new classes/files should raise
warning signs and new modules/folders should be require ICLA. If the
code looks like a mixed ragbag, ask for further provenance, an ICLA
and code style cleanup :)."

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201606.mbox/%3cCAMBJEmVaB32H9O2W2HtXrZ2WfUA6CoeX=6_e8yg64YPNzfBNoA@mail.gmail.com%3e

> By the way, I am not now, nor have I ever been, a lawyer.

:-)

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Neil,

The ghost.io article you refer to is a good read and as far as I can tell, still relevant today.

Generally Apache does not require ICLA from small-patch contributors. If a large-patch contribution comes in, generally projects may request an ICLA/CCLA depending on who owns the intellectual property.

When I've been involved in the past with "to icla or not to icla" the question has come down to "how big a problem would reverting this patch be?"

So look at it from the risk perspective. If someone (e.g. the submitter's employer) claims intellectual property rights over a contribution and the project subsequently had to revert the contribution, how much of a problem would that be? If it would be a major hassle, a contributor document would be requested. To avoid that risk, the PMC can decide to require an ICLA/CCLA before accepting a patch. "No one is going to tell the PMC what to do here".

By the way, I am not now, nor have I ever been, a lawyer.

Craig

> On Jun 16, 2020, at 7:40 AM, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> As I mentioned in the review thread, I'd quite like to discuss and
> clarify when (if at all) we require an ICLA from contributors.
>
> I've seen a number of PRs recently where contributors have been told,
> or otherwise assume, that they require an ICLA for quite simple
> contributions.  I've also seen contributors told (incorrectly AFAIK)
> that ASF *requires* an ICLA for larger contributions.  At other times,
> we've merged fairly large contributions without.
>
> We (as in PMC) should decide what criteria we have here, but it would
> be good to apply consistently, and not needlessly put barriers in the
> way.
>
> This seems a good read - it's not at ASF, but it's well linked in to
> things that are, and as far as I know is still accurate.
> https://apetro.ghost.io/apache-contributors-no-cla/
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Neil

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] when do we require an ICLA?

Posted by John Mc <mc...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

So I was always under the impression that an ICLA is only required if
someone wants to take the next step and be more active and eventually look
to become a commiter on a project?

I know before NetBeans went to Apache I had submitted a few pull requests
to the Apache JClouds project but was never asked or blocked by needing to
submit a ICLA.

Regards

John