Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/09 16:59:49 UTC

[VOTE] Release Candidate JMeter 2.3 RC3

Following on from the helpful feedback on RC1, I've now created JMeter
2.3 RC3 in the directory:

http://people.apache.org/~sebb/jmeter-2.3/dist

Site documentation is here:
http://people.apache.org/~sebb/jmeter-2.3/site

It should now build and test OK on Unix (and in non-English Locales).

[Please note that the 2 BeanShell tests require the optional beanshell
jar to be downloaded from www.beanshell.org and put in the lib/opt
directory.]

All feedback welcome.

[ ]+1 - the release candidate looks OK, proceed with releasing it
[ ]-1 - there is a problem (please indicate what it is)

There have been quite a few major updates since 2.2, so I think it
would be prudent to release 2.3 initially as a release candidate; a
full release can follow in a month or so.

sebb AT apache DOT org

Re: [VOTE] Release Candidate JMeter 2.3 RC3

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
sebb wrote:
[snip]
> Thanks for all the useful information.
>
> I have not yet investigated why the IBM JVMs have problems with the
> XMLSchema and XPath tests, but given that none of the other JVMs show
> the same errors I'm not too worried.
>
> The other errors are all problems in the test code, rather than errors
> in JMeter itself.
>
> I've fixed the Class Cast problem, and the tests now run OK on Windows and
> Unix.
>
> Given that it is a release candidate rather than a full release, I'm
> inclined to leave fixing these errors until the full release.

+1 from me :)

- Jörg

Re: [VOTE] Release Candidate JMeter 2.3 RC3

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 09/07/07, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> sebb wrote:
>
> > Following on from the helpful feedback on RC1, I've now created JMeter
> > 2.3 RC3 in the directory:
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~sebb/jmeter-2.3/dist
> >
> > Site documentation is here:
> > http://people.apache.org/~sebb/jmeter-2.3/site
> >

> > It should now build and test OK on Unix (and in non-English Locales).
> >
> > [Please note that the 2 BeanShell tests require the optional beanshell
> > jar to be downloaded from www.beanshell.org and put in the lib/opt
> > directory.]
> >
> > All feedback welcome.
> >

> > [ ]+1 - the release candidate looks OK, proceed with releasing it
> > [ ]-1 - there is a problem (please indicate what it is)
> >
> > There have been quite a few major updates since 2.2, so I think it
> > would be prudent to release 2.3 initially as a release candidate; a
> > full release can follow in a month or so.
> >
> > sebb AT apache DOT org
>
> After using the offical bsh-2.0-beta-4.jar from the website (and not the one
> provided by Gentoo) the tests run much better. I build now RC3 with my
> complete compiler zoo, running "ant all test".

Glad that's sorted.

> One strange error is always present: The ClassFinder detects 72 TestCase
> classes, but 1 cannot be instantiated:
>
> ========= %< ============
>     [java] Creating test suite
>     [java]
> Scanning /home/joehni/java/jakarta-jmeter-2.3RC3/build/test,../lib/ext for
> test cases
>     [java] ClassFinder found: 72 TestCase classes
>     [java] INFO: JMeterGUIComponent: skipping some tests
> org.apache.jmeter.testbeans.gui.TestBeanGUI
>     [java] Error adding test for class
> org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.TestHTTPSamplersAgainstHttpMirrorServer
> java.lang.ClassCastException:
> org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.TestHTTPSamplersAgainstHttpMirrorServer$1

I changed the test recently to use a one-time TestSetup - this returns
a Test, not a TestSuite.

The changed test worked fine in Eclipse, but I see now that it does
not work in Ant - unfortunately I overlooked that line in the output
... instead of prining a message, perhaps I should add a dummy test
that is bound to fail.

Thanks for finding it.

>     [java] Created: 71 tests including 5 suites
>     [java] Starting test run, test count = 1286
> ========= %< ============
>
> Apart from this following JDKs run all the tests fine:
> - Blackdown 1.4.2_03
> - Sun JDK 1.5.0_12
> - Sun JDK 1.6.0_01

Good.

> [...]
>     [java]     at
> org.apache.jmeter.assertions.XPathAssertionTest.testAssertionBlankResult(XPathAssertionTest.java:183)
>     [java]     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
> Method)
>     [java]     at
> sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:64)
>     [java]     at
>     [java]     at org.apache.jorphan.test.AllTests.main(AllTests.java:214)
>     [java]
>     [java] FAILURES!!!
>     [java] Tests run: 1286,  Failures: 4,  Errors: 0
> ========= %< ============
>
> - BEA JRockit 1.4.2_13 with
> ========= %< ============
>     [java] There was 1 failure:
>     [java] 1)
> testSubResults(org.apache.jmeter.samplers.TestSampleResult)junit.framework.AssertionFailedError:

This is a bug in the test; it assumes that there is no gap between
generating two samples, even though there is actually some processing
that occurs. I don't remember seeing this before.

I obviously need to use a range check.

>     [java]     at
> org.apache.jmeter.samplers.TestSampleResult.testSubResults(TestSampleResult.java:159)
>     [java]     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
> Method)
>     [java]     at
>     [java]     at
>     [java]     at org.apache.jorphan.test.AllTests.main(AllTests.java:214)
>     [java]
>     [java] FAILURES!!!
>     [java] Tests run: 1286,  Failures: 1,  Errors: 0
> ========= %< ============
>
> - BEA JRockit 1.5.0_10 with
> ========= %< ============
>     [java] There was 1 failure:
>     [java] 1)
> testSubResults(org.apache.jmeter.samplers.TestSampleResult)junit.framework.AssertionFailedError:
> expected:<304> but was:<305>

Same as previous.

>     [java]     at
> org.apache.jmeter.samplers.TestSampleResult.testSubResults(TestSampleResult.java:159)
>     [java]     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
> Method)
>     [java]     at
>     [java]     at
>     [java]     at org.apache.jorphan.test.AllTests.main(AllTests.java:214)
>     [java]
>     [java] FAILURES!!!
>     [java] Tests run: 1286,  Failures: 1,  Errors: 0
> ========= %< ============
>
> - Sun JDK 1.4.2_15 with
> ========= %< ============
>     [java] There was 1 failure:
>     [java] 1)
> testElapsed(org.apache.jmeter.samplers.TestSampleResult)junit.framework.AssertionFailedError:
> Sample time should be >=100, actual 99

This is a timing issue, and will probably disappear if you run the test again.

I ought to change the check - a Thread.sleep(100) may be slightly less
than 100 as shown above.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Sebastian,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 09/07/07, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Following on from the helpful feedback on RC1, I've now created JMeter
> 2.3 RC3 in the directory:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~sebb/jmeter-2.3/dist
>
> Site documentation is here:
> http://people.apache.org/~sebb/jmeter-2.3/site
>

> It should now build and test OK on Unix (and in non-English Locales).
>
> [Please note that the 2 BeanShell tests require the optional beanshell
> jar to be downloaded from www.beanshell.org and put in the lib/opt
> directory.]
>
> All feedback welcome.
>

> [ ]+1 - the release candidate looks OK, proceed with releasing it

Here's my +1

Posted by Alf Høgemark <al...@i100.no>.
Hello

I vote
+1

for new release

Regards
Alf Hogemark

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 11/07/07, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 17:50 +0100, sebb wrote:

> > Oops! That is no longer quite true.
> >
> > Specific jars in lib are included by name (defined in build.properties).
> >
> > All jars in lib/opt are included on the build classpath.
> >
> > > ----------------
> > >
> > > That fixed failure 1 and 3, but PostWriterTest keeps on failing on me.

> > > Even though English is not my native language I can't stand localized
> > > software of any kind. I usually have locale on my computer set to en_US
> > >
> > > oleg@okhost:~$ set | grep LANG
> > > LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> >
> > Ah I think that must be it.
> >
> > The test "changes" the encoding to UTF-8 and checks to see that the
> > output is different. Of course that won't happen if the default
> > encoding is UTF-8.
> >
> > If you can try setting the encoding to something other than UTF-8
> > (e.g. ISO-8859-1) then this should allow the test to pass.

> > > Yes, I do. I can try to run PostWriterTest under the debugger if needed.
> >
> > Thanks for the offer, but probably no need.
> >
> > It would be great if you could try it with a different encoding though.
> >

> export LANG=en_US.ASCII did the trick for me. You may still want to
> tweak the test case to make it locale insensitive.

Will do - this will go into the GA release.

> +1 to proceed with the release

Thanks very much.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 11/07/07, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 11:40 +0100, sebb wrote:

> > > What is the recommended way of building test cases and testing the
> > > source distribution?
> >
> > See above.
> >
> > Thanks for taking the time to look at this; sorry it did not run smoothly.
> >

> My apologies. It was a classic RTFM case. Anyways, things look better
> but I am still getting 3 test failures:
>
>     [java] There were 3 failures:
>     [java] 1)
> BSH1(org.apache.jmeter.functions.PackageTest)junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: BeanShell not present

The beanshell jar needs to be downloaded from www.beanshell.org and
put in lib/opt

>     [java]     at
> org.apache.jmeter.functions.PackageTest.BSH1(PackageTest.java:221)
>     [java]     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
> Method)
>     [java]     at
>     [java]     at
>     [java]     at
> org.apache.jorphan.test.AllTests.main(AllTests.java:214)
>     [java] 2)
> testSendPostData_FileAsBody(org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.PostWriterTest)junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: all bytes were equal

Not sure I understand why this test is failing - seems to be an encoding issue.

What is the default encoding on your test machine?

>     [java]     at
> org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.PostWriterTest.checkArraysHaveDifferentContent(PostWriterTest.java:836)
>     [java]     at
> org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.PostWriterTest.testSendPostData_FileAsBody(PostWriterTest.java:203)
>     [java]     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
> Method)
>     [java]     at
>     [java]     at
>     [java]     at
> org.apache.jorphan.test.AllTests.main(AllTests.java:214)
>     [java] 3)
> testTimerBSH(org.apache.jmeter.timers.PackageTest)junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: expected:<60> but was:<0>

As for error (1)

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 11/07/07, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 15:59 +0100, sebb wrote:
> > Following on from the helpful feedback on RC1, I've now created JMeter
> > 2.3 RC3 in the directory:
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~sebb/jmeter-2.3/dist
> >
> > Site documentation is here:
> > http://people.apache.org/~sebb/jmeter-2.3/site
> >

> > It should now build and test OK on Unix (and in non-English Locales).
> >
> > [Please note that the 2 BeanShell tests require the optional beanshell
> > jar to be downloaded from www.beanshell.org and put in the lib/opt
> > directory.]
> >
> > All feedback welcome.
> >

> Hi Sebastian
>
> I tried to build JMeter from the source distribution and even though I
> succeeded in compiling and building Jmeter and was unable to get it pass
> all test cases. I copied all requisite dependencies from the binary
> distribution, ran ant clean; ant; ant test; and got over a hundred of
> failures. I can post the complete jmeter-test.log file if needed.

The source archive only contains the source and build-only files not
already in the binary archive, so you need to unpack the source and
binary archives into the same directory structure.
[This is mentioned in the README file, but could be made clearer.]

You can then run

ant test [-Djava.awt.headless=true]

which will compile and run the tests on the current build (i.e.
without rebuilding, so you can test the actual release files)

If want to rebuild just run

ant

Then run

ant test

to test it.

The ant "distribution" target does a full build and test and creates
the archives, but is probably overkill.

>     [java] 7)
> testTimerBSH(org.apache.jmeter.timers.PackageTest)junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: expected:<60> but was:<0>

Suggests that the beanshell jar was not in lib/opt

>     [java]     at
> org.apache.jmeter.timers.PackageTest.testTimerBSH(PackageTest.java:47)
>     [java]     at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native
> Method)
>     [java]     at
>     [java]     at
>     [java]     at
> org.apache.jorphan.test.AllTests.main(AllTests.java:214)
>
>     [java] FAILURES!!!
>     [java] Tests run: 1286,  Failures: 7,  Errors: 210
>
>     [java] +++++++++++
>     [java] ------------
>
> batchtest:
>     [echo] Starting BatchTestLocal
>     [java] FATAL_E 2007-07-11 10:28:11.568 [jmeter.J] (): An error
> occurred:
>     [java] java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not read JMeter properties
> file

Probably because the build needs all the files from the binary archive.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
+1

for new release