Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Roberto Simoni <ro...@yahoo.it> on 2009/07/10 11:37:30 UTC

DailyRollingFileAppender & RollingFileAppender after a rollover continues to write on previous file...

Hi to all. We use log4j in a big project for our customer on a
linux/unix system (JBoss 4, JDK 1.5).
Every day, I see current time logs present in two log file... the
current (<application_name>.log) and the previous log
(<application_name>.log.<date_pattern> or
<application_name>.log.<counter>) as the rollover operation hasn't
stopped to write to the previous file.
We have only a log4j.xml file and a file appender configured. What I see
is that when the problem occurs a lot of logs is in writing in that moment.
We have a batch operation at midnight, so with DailyRollingFileAppender
the problem occurs everyday, instead with RollingFileAppender the
problem occurs only if the rollover is made around midnight.

I have seen that rollover operation is *not* synchronized due to a
"already synchronization on doAppend method" (as sad in
RollingFileAppender class).
Are you confident on this behaviour?

Thanks in advance
Bye