Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by stansa <st...@ziplip.com> on 2000/05/09 10:26:28 UTC

Customizable UI framework

Hi,

I am newbie to cocoon and have a design
question. I have been given an assignment to come out with highly configurable user interface framework based
on xml.
Here is an example this framework
could be applied too.

The example is in an ISP scenario which has
various domains(organizations),
sub domains(organizational units) each having associated administration roles.

ISP
  =>Role: Service Admin
  =>Role: Help Desk Admin
....> coke.com
  =>Role: Domain Admin
  =>Role: Dept Admin
  =>Role: End User
....> pepsi.com
  =>Role: Domain Admin
  =>Role: Dept Admin
  =>Role: End User

The idea is to come up with a ui framework that is
customizable by roles and customizable by domains.

We can assume that a fixed UI structure would
be enforced by ISP. Probably something like a banner
on top comprosing of a logo on the top left corner,A site id and a logout icon. A navigation bar on the left. A footer with privacy policy and feedback links. The centre portion would be the data/form area.

Every domain will follow a fixed UI Structure but
can customize the elements like logo, footers etc..
The data/form content could be different depending
on roles. For ex. a particular set of search results
viewed by a Service Admin would have a different
resultset as compared to a Domain Admin. It is not
just more results, the search result page could also
be formatted differently based on different roles.

Without a template approach we would end up having
a separate directory for each domain and probably
sub directories. Using a template approach we could
store all the customizable information in some
format (xml, property files, ldap etc). We could then
use a template language to design our pages. The template language would have the necessary syntax
to allow for customizable info subsitution and also customizable tags for dynamic content generation.

To map this to an XSLT approach we could have
something like this.

The main goal here is to have a minimum number of
pages and low maintenance for this ISP example.

I would like to get some insights on how
to design a solution using the cocoon framework.

Thanks,
Stan

*  Get free, secure online email at http://www.ziplip.com/  *

Re: More elaborate XSP examples

Posted by Yann <yl...@ims.ltd.uk>.

> I am looking at XSP as a way to link cocoon up to an exisiting RMI-based
> Java solution. Is this something that someone has done already? If so - do
> you have an example in XSP on how to do this (i.e. do the RMI stuff from
> inside XSP) - Or would a producer be a better way to go in this case?
>
> Matthew

You can import the java.rmi stuff within your XSP page using the
<xsp:include> tag so I can't see why it wouldn't work.
Then you can have access to the RMI Registry and lookup for objects and call
their methods. I haven't done it myself though but it makes sense.

Yann.

More elaborate XSP examples

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@sundn.de>.
I am looking at XSP as a way to link cocoon up to an exisiting RMI-based
Java solution. Is this something that someone has done already? If so - do
you have an example in XSP on how to do this (i.e. do the RMI stuff from
inside XSP) - Or would a producer be a better way to go in this case?

Matthew

Tel: +49-5251-1581-30   [mlangham@sundn.de - http://www.sundn.de]

...this mail was scanned for viruses by mailserver...